Author Topic: Short power cords on power tools.  (Read 3755 times)

Offline EVILDR235

Short power cords on power tools.
« on: January 30, 2016, 02:51:35 AM »
Why do makers of power tools put short power cords on lots of their tools ? I know in some cases it is because the tools were store demo models. i think another reason is to save money on the cost of a longer cord. I swap out the short cords for longer ones. What is your opinions of this ?

EvilDr235

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
Re: Short power cords on power tools.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 06:50:12 AM »
Just a guess, if it is a tool that can damage the cord easily it would be easier to replace/repair an extension cord then the power cord that is custom made on the power tool.

Offline amecks

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 07:44:03 AM »
I've mentioned before I work in a rental store.  As you said Dr. E alot of machines come with short cords.  Those that come with long cords... when they get damaged we will cut them short - away from the cutting edge or other moving parts.  That way when the customer ruins a cord it is his extension cord, not our power cord.
This probably still does not answer why manufacturers use short cords.  I would guess it is cheaper to use a short cord and they're thinking you are going to use an extension cord anyway.
It seems in modern manufacturing the only reason for changing anything is to make it cheaper.
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 07:57:31 AM »
the idea started in the 70's when "double insulated" tools were popular.

They had plastic cases to insulate and often no ground wire.

they were also sold as "price point" tools

think of those awful green Rockwell tools

so I assume price was the motive, tho I suppose you could argue safety as

the plug was always very near the operator in case of "misadventure"
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline international3414

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 11:51:04 AM »
my complaint is garbage stiff cords,its all about the $$

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 03:04:09 PM »
My dad should have had a short cord on his Skilsaw.  Instead, he had a cord that looked like a Revolutionary War veteran, covered in black electrical tape from repairs after he hit it with the spinning saw blade.

Me, I pay closer attention to where the blade is until it stops spinning, and I put a ten foot cord on my circular saw, so that the plug won't hang up on eight-foot plywood panels.

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 07:05:27 PM »
It's actually a test that allows mechanics on a job to sort which helper is worth keeping and which helpers are going back to the shop to assist the meatloaf who hired them. 

Long cords generally get ruined by fools who have to wind them tight around the tool and carry the tool by the loop of cord coming from the tool, so mechanics cut the tool cord short and solve the issue of the spaghetti bowl in the gangbox that needs to be untangled every damn day. 

Helper gets sent for a tool and comes back with only the tool so he can make a second trip to the box gets recycled to broom pusher back in the shop or Unemployment.  Helper who brings tool + cord enough to reach an outlet gets a + mark on his evaluation, and might be around long enough to be worth his pay.

Black & Decker, the evil French company swiped the idea in the 70s and started selling everything with short cords.  First use was on electric hedge clippers.  They even had a little plastic clip on the plug to lock it to the extension cord.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 08:16:38 PM »
I have some with no cords, just a place tk plug in an extension cord.

Just evolution at work, from arm powered to geared,  to electrical power corded,  to battery powered.

Short cords were just part of a half step.

Chilly

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 08:58:16 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. Many valid answers. I remember my first corded tool was a jig saw from Kmart in the 1970's. I buy 100 foot 3 prong cords and cut them to size and add the proper plugs. The jig saw is the only tool still wearing the 12 inch cord as i rarely ever use it.

EvilDr235

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 12:22:28 AM »
I've had an electrician tell me it was because the longer the cord, the heavier the wire gauge  needed to account for voltage drop.  So the longer the cord on the tool, the higher the price to cover the cost of the extra wire.  Household vacuum cleaner cords run about 15 feet or so.  The last crock pot my wife bought has a cord about 2 ft. long.