Author Topic: Strange winter  (Read 1777 times)

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
Strange winter
« on: February 10, 2016, 10:16:26 PM »
I've been living in the central interior of British Columbia for 45 years now and this is the warmest winter I've seen. February is normally are coldest month, usually it's anywhere from 10 to 30 below at nights. So far this month I think we've only had about 6 days when it's dropped below freezing at night and it's above freezing every day. I might have 10 to 12" of snow on the lawn and it's normally 3 to 4 '. We get a big snowfall one day and it melts within a day or so. My snowmobile is full of fuel and ready to go but I'll have to load it up and drive to the mountains if I want to ride this year.
 What about the rest of you guys is it a good or bad winter ? 

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Strange winter
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 11:09:35 PM »
Been unusually light winter here on the Gulf Coast.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 02:15:46 AM »
About average? we have had record tying highs, weeks of colder than normal, snow, but the record rain came when it was near records highs or we would have been burried in record snows. and it isn't over with!
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline kxxr

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 05:05:36 AM »
65 F Tuesday in Great Falls, Mt. Very warm for this time of year, but we get warm days every winter almost and it is always a welcome surprise. 65 in February is especially warm though.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 10:42:59 AM »
Heck, the temps are in the low to mid 80's here in the Desert Southwest. Should be our coldest time of the year. It's killing the furnace repair business.
Ratchet Guru

Offline Ken W.

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 02:33:44 PM »
It's 14 here in Buffalo. 9 tonight and tomorrow.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 07:34:14 PM »
Here in Nebraska it was mild until Christmas, grass was still growing.  Since then some good snows, and plenty of cold nights near zero.  Lots of wind this winter, noticed my chimney cap has blown off.  Had a ground blizzard 2 weeks back.  Still waiting for the January thaw.  2 more months of winter. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline international3414

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 08:00:06 PM »
easy here on east coast,compared to last year,.,.maybe zero this weekend,then back to 30s-40s :grin:

Offline GreenElectric

• Cheyenne, Wyoming
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 04:30:40 PM »
Here in Cheyenne we have been having winters just like you describe (snow doesn't stay on the ground) for about 20 years now.  Oddly enough, though, this winter has been more like the ones we used to have-with plenty of snow and the usual winds piling the snow up.  And it has stayed cold enough for the snow to stay on the ground.  One strange thing is we have had extremely violent winds (yes, even by Wyoming standards) this February.  The same thing happened last year, and the winds subsided and it was relatively calm in March.  It's strange since March has always been notorious for high winds here, not February.  Strange. . .

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 03:20:43 PM »
Here in Tucson we hit 90 last weekend. Geez 90 degrees in February!

What does that bode for July? Yikes!
Ratchet Guru

Offline Sudsy

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 05:25:03 PM »
6o degrees the night before with high wind and LIGHTNING (in Feb ?? ) here in NJ

Gotta love El Nino

http://news.discovery.com/earth/oceans/will-weakening-el-nino-give-way-to-la-nina-160226.htm