Author Topic: Greetings, a dozen cans of worms  (Read 12251 times)

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
Re: Greetings, a dozen cans of worms
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 09:20:00 AM »
Wow, you and the scrap metal guy are going to be on a first name basis!

(BTW, I like how you had to cordon off the bonfire area to keep the weenie-roasting crowd under control.) :wink:
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline Jeff from Wisconsin

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2016, 03:47:39 PM »
Last set a pics, not sure anyone finds this much interesting so will end this venture here, will have to admit it was fun and lots of little surprises along the way.

Thanks for stopping by!! Cheers - Jeff
To know the road ahead; ask those returning!

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2016, 04:11:38 PM »
Say, can you tell us what those ring and post ? thingies are in picture #60?
I want to think that they might be sign stands, but doesn't seem right.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2016, 04:31:36 PM »
the one highlighted in the pic?

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2016, 08:48:59 PM »
The hubcap is from a 1939 Mercury.  The steel wheels on axles, are probably the wheels to the small trucks for flywheel engines.  Was quite a dairy there once upon a time.   The angle iron things, with hooks on them, are probably the buckets used to elevate grain to the top of a large wooden grain bin.  I see a metal detector there, isn't there enough iron in the sheds, without digging up more?...****
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline turnnut

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2016, 08:54:35 PM »
ring looks like a barrel cover and locking ring.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2016, 11:34:11 PM »
In pic 62 the long curved piece is from a tillage implement,  in some places called a subsoiler.  In Pic 51 is a galvanized can in the center,  that is a corn planter box, on the lid is IHC, a collectible.  In 52, the big hooks, were attached to a rope, and dropped from the barn haymow down to a wagon of hay, to be hoisted inside, those are big ones. 65, the red pipes  with the curve, look like gate closer/locks, great when one has livestock. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline crankshaftdan II

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2016, 06:44:37 AM »
Man o Man--and I thought that I am a saver!   You have your work cut out for you and your helpers!   Lot's of rusty gold there to comb thru-keep us posted as to the rest of your historical finds!!!!!!!!!! :cheesy:............Cranky
E-mail address  dhdslimbow@yahoo.com
Looking for USA made ratchets-all sizes-drives and lengths  also S-K SuperKrome wrenches ditto.  Like to trade vs buy run it past me-nothing is cut in stone!

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2016, 07:44:18 PM »
Hey fellas, sorry for the delay, auction time and just massively busy with bids and pick-up not any time to respond in kind; but I will soon!

Thanks for looking. Cheer - Jeff

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2016, 08:58:19 PM »
Y'know, your pictures remind me of a hunting trip we took out to the Midwest farm country a few years ago. Driving miles and miles down gravel roads, every farm we came to had an unbelievable (to us) assortment of junk vehicles, junk tractors, junk semi-trucks, and just plain junk piled up around the barns. Rusty metal everywhere, just like in your photos. And this was back when scrap steel was fetching over $500/ton. It was astounding to think how much money in old iron these guys were sitting on. But why, we wondered, were none of these farmers calling the scrap dealers and cashing in?

The best answer came from one of the local hired hands we talked to. He said that the junk piles were like a form of status out here. Whoever had the most junk was the envy of all his neighbors. Only it wasn't junk see, it was all good "stuff," just waiting for a good use to come along.

So anyhow Jeff, you might want to reconsider cleaning up all your "stuff." With no rusty piles of metal around your barns, you're going to end up being the laughingstock of your whole neighborhood, heh heh.  :grin:
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline crankshaftdan II

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2016, 09:53:59 AM »
RE:

Picture #64 the blue tube looks to might possibly be a I.H. Grease gun-if so, collectors are always looking for those???
E-mail address  dhdslimbow@yahoo.com
Looking for USA made ratchets-all sizes-drives and lengths  also S-K SuperKrome wrenches ditto.  Like to trade vs buy run it past me-nothing is cut in stone!

Offline Twertsy

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2016, 08:24:19 AM »
That looks like a fun journey!!

Offline TomHuett

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2016, 08:34:39 PM »
In Picture 51, I think the twisted metal pieces are the base to an ice cream parlor table. 

I could look at this stuff all day!!

Tom