Author Topic: My New Forge  (Read 3809 times)

Offline bill300d

My New Forge
« on: March 26, 2016, 12:03:34 PM »
My wife picked this up at a sale today. When she got home she asked me to go out and bring the stuff she got in the garage.
When I got done I went back in the house and asked her how she knew that I would like the forge. She begins to tell me that she didn't buy it for me and that she in fact bought it for herself and that she was going to put it in the yard and put flowers in it.
I then proceeded to explain to her that wasn't happening if I had anything to do with it and I will make her something that looks similar but that forge is not going to be a flower pot.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: My New Forge
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 01:40:04 PM »
Tell her the cast iron will just break when the dirt from her planting freezes, and it does, ruins the forge.  Never seen that model with the hand crank.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline bill300d

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 02:06:30 PM »
Can't say that I have either John. There are no id marks on it but I did find a catalog page that I think is the same one from Canedy-Otto, at least the measurements are the same.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 09:04:34 PM »
Bill,  have you started working on her flower container yet ?

better at least start on one ,  maybe 1/2 a whiskey barrel on legs ???
then paint it flat black ? or, if she rather, a rust color.

Offline bill300d

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 10:08:11 PM »
She has seen the error of her ways and disposed of the idea all together. So now I have a forge that needs a little work. I just need to round up a few other incidentals such as thongs, an anvil, hammers etc. to use it as its supposed to be used when the time comes. The icing on the cake is that that's one less thing to attend to in maintaining the yard.

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 08:57:21 AM »
You bring the brats, and I'll bring the Linked!
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 10:42:40 AM »
I actually have that EXACT forge! I've been using it at my historical reenactments. It actually works remarkably well, though you'll spend most of your time maintaining your fire rather than actually working the metal. But if you stay on top of it, it gets nice and hot without wasting too much fuel.

I picked up a new forge with a little bigger fire pot I'm gonna experiment to see if it will replace that one in my portable shop, but that remains to be seen...

Offline bill300d

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 02:08:17 PM »
Twilight you wouldn't have a pic handy of your's that you could post would you?

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 02:24:17 PM »
Twilight you wouldn't have a pic handy of your's that you could post would you?
It's burried in my garage at the moment, so the only pictures I have are the day I brought it home, and after I took it appart to rebuild it, I'll see if I can get to it when I get home and get you a better picture...