Author Topic: Blacksmith's Pedal Grinding Wheel  (Read 3177 times)

Offline deerhunter496

Blacksmith's Pedal Grinding Wheel
« on: June 13, 2016, 02:59:57 PM »
Could someone put a value on this for me. I dont know if I should sell it or keep it. I paid $40 for it. I'd like to keep it for display in my barn, but several people are telling to sell. It still has the original leather with the wood tub hanging under the wheel. Its solid, not weak or wobbly. Patented Aug 7, 1883 by C.S. Co. Wheel is 15" diameter, 2" thick. I have several different pictures, but I dont know how to resize them to satisfy the file size limit.
Thank you for any help
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:01:53 PM by deerhunter496 »

Offline Nolatoolguy

Re: Blacksmith's Pedal Grinding Wheel
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 07:22:06 PM »
Is there any cracks in the stone?

if there are no cracks I would maybe pay 75 bucks, an that's a big maybe. Keep in mind that I am rather cheap if it's something I am not in need of. I have seen similar ones listed locally for usually about 300-500. They seem to sit a while for that price, if they even sell.

I am sure others on tooltalk who know more about them, maybe it could be more maybe less.

I find them a better display piece then something to flip.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline deerhunter496

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 07:29:19 PM »
The wheel isnt cracked, but does have a couple minor chips around the edges. Thanks for the reply, but I'd keep it for 75.00

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 08:50:24 PM »
The wheel isnt cracked, but does have a couple minor chips around the edges. Thanks for the reply, but I'd keep it for 75.00

Don't blame you. I like them a lot as a conversation peice.

It could go for more but it's a tough sell in my oppoion.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 11:01:09 AM »
That's a pretty nice old setup. I'm by no means an expert, but I do believe it needs a little repair. That box hanging under the wheel should be straight, I think. It's for holding water to keep the wheel wet. And angled as it is, it would not be able to wet the wheel.

I have no idea what it is worth to most people, if I weren't so broke and it were nearby I'd throw $100 at it. I've seen a few come up around here on Craigslist for about $80, but they were all steel frame. I've never seen a wooden one come up.

Offline deerhunter496

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 06:41:13 PM »
Ive seen a lot of wood ones, but Ive never seen one in person with the trough and the leather. I checked ebay ( i know, a bad place for value info) and theyre asking $100-$945 for them. http://www.ebay.com/itm/262445232295?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT       

Offline deerhunter496

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 06:44:02 PM »
By the way, I posted the link because I thought the asking price was crazy, but I'm no expert.............thats why I'm here

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 06:45:33 PM »
Have used one of these sandstone grinders, not exactly for precision work, but they fit their time period.   The only one I'd like to get my hands on is in my uncles barn, the wheel is six inches thick and 4.5 feet in diameter.  Came from a great great uncles shop.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline deerhunter496

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 06:49:03 PM »
Post a picture of that if you ever get a chance. I love stuff like that