Author Topic: Bell system solder  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Bill Houghton

Bell system solder
« on: July 15, 2016, 03:53:15 PM »
I picked up three bars of Bell System solder marked, "seam," today.  Untouched, and a dollar for all three.

I get bar solder when I can find it for use on sheet metal flashings (head flashing and the like).  Tin bender's solder was traditionally 50/50 lead/tin.  Does anyone know what Bell System solder is likely to be?  There's no proportions showing on the bars.  Well, and the real question is, will it likely work on galvanized metal?

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
Re: Bell system solder
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 04:57:05 PM »
When I was a cable splicer working in the manholes of Manhattan, we used 3 types of solder.

Pig, seam, and Sealing. The pigs were used for wiping joints on lead sleeves. Seam was used to close up the seam on top of the lead sleeve. Sealing was used to seal up any pin holes that happened in the wiped joint.

if I remember correctly:
Pigs = 100% lead
Seam = 70 / 30
Sealing = 50 / 50

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 05:06:45 PM »
Various folks on various fora expressed opinions, one of which is that the 70/30 (is that lead/tin or tin/lead, by the way?) would result in a weaker joint; but the melting temperature is different, so it could permit making two joints near each other without having the first one break loose as I'm doing the second one.

70/30 (lead/tin) is commonly used on auto body (non-galvanized) sheet metal by people who want to use the historically correct method rather than Bondo, thus explaining the term "lead sled."

I'm inclined to put it at the back of the drawer, and hope I continue to find bars of 50/50 faster than I need to make flashing.

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 05:47:47 PM »
Bill,
the lead slingers used different mixes,
 tin = expensive =bonds to the base metal but brittle can crack
lead = cheap= poor bonding to the base metal stay flexible
The part I found interesting was the blue flashes when I was redoing a old fender. Looked like the flash in the mercury switch in a HVAC thermostat.  Yep mercury was used in the "good" tinning butter! If you have time check out, damn they both pasted away this year, two legends in car customs. George Barris and Bill "the lead slinger" Hines on youtube.
Man this year has seen so many good people pass on. So many that I wish would go away are still dragging down the human race.
  Back to the lead, you will see some guys lay down a good base of "higher tin content" then lay it on thick with the higher lead content save a few nickles and dimes on each job. I learn to lead in HS, then bought my own stuff a couple of years later when I could afford it, then the big lead scare came along. I still do some jobs but it takes me a while to get it to stick. save the vertical seams for last!  There are many better than I will ever be, lots of room for improvement. I started a leading page on facebook it probably has 300-500 members but it's not real active.
 Still have a bunch of soldering irons tinners and electronics type, even rebuild a Johnson soldering iron furnace from time to time. Kept one for myself.
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 07:42:22 PM »
Bill

The pigs were put in a pot and put on a furnace until molten.

The seam (70% lead) was run using a soldering iron.

Sealing solder didn't need any external heat, the stuff melted by just touching it to the warm joint.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 10:17:45 PM »
Related to this post. I buy any solder containing lead and also just plain lead. It is getting hard to find around here. I use it for soldering wiring and sheet metal. I also use some for casting sinkers and some for casting bullets for my muzzle loading rifles. I have several friends that has a WWII era houses with cast iron sewer pipes that needs repair once an while.

EvilDr235

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 10:25:18 PM »
I have about 600# saved in ingot form still some pipe and wheel weights to melt down.
Wish I could find some tin ingot cheap, about 15$ a pound now.

A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 11:07:45 PM »
When i worked for my friend in the scrap metal business we got tin tubing out of old refrigeration units. Now a days i have no idea where to get it. I think aluminum tubing replaced the tin tubing. Watch out using wheel weights. A lot of them are made of zinc. For casting muzzle loading bullet i have to use dead soft lead, where modern firearms need hard cast lead.

EvilDr235