Author Topic: Somebody will know....  (Read 3766 times)

Offline rustcollector

Somebody will know....
« on: July 24, 2016, 04:45:57 PM »
I can't even hazard a guess on this one. Anybody know? No markings.

Offline turnnut

Re: Somebody will know....
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 08:38:05 PM »
 I do not know, but I have a few questions about it.

in your last picture, in the center, is that a handle to hold it while you turn the t-handle to tighten it onto something ?

next question is about the indentation inside the jaw,  is that about the size of a golf ball ?

how long is the complete item ?

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 08:45:23 PM »
 Most complicated nut cracker I've ever seen.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »
I do not know, but I have a few questions about it.

in your last picture, in the center, is that a handle to hold it while you turn the t-handle to tighten it onto something ?

next question is about the indentation inside the jaw,  is that about the size of a golf ball ?

how long is the complete item ?

I can't answer the first question because I have no idea of how it would be used .
Second question, The indent is more or less the size of a nickel.
3rd question, as can be seen in the first 2 pictures, it's about 16" in total length.

Definitely would not work as a nutcracker since when you turn the crank handle it actually makes the bottom part move further apart rather than closer together.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 09:21:08 PM »
 WOW, paying attention to the item, I missed the yard stick ???

maybe the heat got to me ?????

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 05:57:00 AM »
Boot/shoe stretcher? I assume the hook like device is adjustable along the length of the rod. The hook would be adjusted to catch in the heel of the shoe/boot and you crank away at the T handle to stretch the toe area????

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 08:35:07 AM »
Boot/shoe stretcher? I assume the hook like device is adjustable along the length of the rod. The hook would be adjusted to catch in the heel of the shoe/boot and you crank away at the T handle to stretch the toe area????

This was my first guess , just couldn't think of a way to explain. Seems like in order to invent something new ,
more complicated was the way to go.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 12:33:00 PM by Lostmind »
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 10:06:01 AM »
Hello, I was also thinking bunion stretcher, but those usually worked with a ball & yoke, The ball would force the leather into the yoke, allowing the leather to stretch, giving relief to the affected area of the foot.Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline dowdstools

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 02:41:23 PM »
I'm gonna' go out on a limb and say it is a veterinarian tool used to administer pills to recalcitrant livestock. I believe I have seen similar tools described as such. That is my SWAG.

Lynn   

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 06:20:08 PM »
I like the shoe stretcher idea, as I can see it working that way. The only question I would have is this.... When you fully crank down the T handle, it only raises the rounded part up 1 7/8", is this enough to stretch a shoe? Never made or stretched shoes so I don't know.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 07:46:41 PM »
Any chance of a photo of what the top of the flat area looks like? Thanks, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 10:34:01 PM »
I'm gonna' go out on a limb and say it is a veterinarian tool used to administer pills to recalcitrant livestock. I believe I have seen similar tools described as such. That is my SWAG.

Lynn

I second your emotion! 
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 04:58:16 PM »
The shoe stretcher comment got me looking down that path, sure enough, that's what it is. Also had another very odd stretcher that came with this one. I see Papaw promoted the Pageant of steam show here in NY, (thank you by the way), This shoe stretcher and many other odd things like it will be in our little spot that week. Along with tons of old wrenches of all types. If you are in NY, stop by and see a great show. There is a guy that displays Maytag ringer washers from every year they made them, hit and miss engines all over the place, a few of the rarest large steam engines. And then there is the flea market, while I have noticed a decline in the quality and quantity of old items in the past few years, there are still quite a few of us that realize the majority of people that go to these shows do not want dollar store items people are trying to resell.

Thanks for the help Id'ing this odd thing. Knew somebody here would figure something out with it.

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 10:53:59 PM »
I did a search in Google Patents for "shoe stretcher" and it came back with more than five pages of results! Wow. Patents from the 1860's on through the 1930's. Apparently shoe stretching was a major issue back then.

I've seen a few patents that look similar to yours Dan, but no exact matches. Yet.
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 09:03:51 AM »
  in regards to shoe stretching back then;

I have the newer style wooden stretchers that I use whenever I buy new shoes.  yes, I hate breaking in new shoes.

I coat the shoes with a softener and put in the stretchers for about a week before wearing them.

I remember some years ago, an old gent would put crumpled newspapers in his shoes every night ?