Author Topic: Anyone know about Fairmont wrench (not Fairmount) probably 1920's  (Read 3278 times)

Offline UncleBill

I have a wrench that I have never been able to find out anything about it and can't find any info on net.  It came from a tool purchase that had tools from the 1920's to 1940's.  In cursive it has the name Fairmont (not Fairmount). I am providing pictures with an old VLCHEK that also came in the lot for comparison of construction.

Please let me know if you know anything.

Uncle Bill

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Re: Anyone know about Fairmont wrench (not Fairmount) probably 1920's
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 11:27:06 AM »
Hello, & welcome to Tool Talk. Possibly Fairmont Tool & Forging, Cleveland, Ohio. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline UncleBill

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 12:39:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply and I am happy to say I figured it out.  I searched again using the search "Fairmont tool Ohio" and came up with an old lawsuit filed with Willy's Overland.  So I looked under Willy's Overland and came up with Fairmount again.  But I did come across a Fairmont tool in Cleveland but the logo looked the same but a bit different and the inception of the company was 1976 and the tool looks like it should of been made in the 1920's.  So another article showed an old piece of information and viola! I found a company in the early 1900's with the same logo and I will provide the link below. 

The tool is from

1905 – Fairmont Railway Motors installs two-cycle engine on a railroad hand car.
Fairmont Railway Motors was founded in Fairmont, Minnesota in 1905. Originally a supplier of railway track motor cars, Fairmont became a pioneer in the development of mechanized track maintenance equipment and introduced hydraulic power to the difficult tasks of pulling and driving track spikes and replacing ties.

http://www.harscorail.com/about-us/history.html

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 12:54:28 PM »
Hello, Unclebill. Good job on the research. That long slash on the T seems to be the same on your wrench, and on the link that you sent. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline UncleBill

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 01:09:36 PM »
One more link I just found in case anyone is interested.

There is a museum for Fairmont Railway Motors, first known as the Fairmont Machine Company in Martin County, Fairmont, MN.

http://fairmont.org/mchs/rwmotors.htm