Author Topic: Woodlathe by ShopSmith  (Read 3227 times)

Offline john k

• Contributor
Woodlathe by ShopSmith
« on: September 23, 2016, 11:42:41 PM »
A year ago I was looking at a nice complete ShopSmith combo wood shop machine.  Lathe, drill press, table saw all in one, you guys know what I mean.  Had a deal made when they suddenly jumped the price by several hundred.  Been curious and looking ever since.  Today I saw a poor little Garage sale sign.  Went around the block, there it be, sitting in the driveway surrounded by baskets, old end tables etc.    Had to park some ways off, and hoofed it back, closer I got the better it looked.  In lathe mode, with a box of wood turning tools laying in the sun.  Table saw, band saw, and drill press parts in the remains of their original box.   Walked around it, bent down an sniffed the motor area, when the smoke leaves, there is sometimes that funky smell left behind.  That is when I saw the SOLD< sorry sign on the back.  Figured I lucked out again, besides no room in the shop right now.  Having a great time using my old SKIL 7-1/4 saw, don't need another big heavy project . 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Nolatoolguy

Re: Woodlathe by ShopSmith
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 01:31:37 AM »
I have looked at a few shopsmiths before, even had a broken one. After getting it from the curb I never got to looking at it before moving.

I think there amazing in concept for a home shop. To me there Almost like a multi tool, it's not great at one specific task but can do a lot of different things. 

I still see them for sale locally. I always am amazed the price range they have. Some really cheap to really expensive.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline turnnut

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 12:32:48 PM »
 parts & service available

shopsmith.com

Shopsmith
6530 Poe Ave.
Dayton, Ohio  45414-2591

1-800-543-7586

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 02:27:53 PM »
I happen to be partial to the old school shopsmith. When I moved back to Virginia, and into the house I have now, I had a surprise in the basement. There it stood, in all of its glory... A 1952 shopsmith with some typing paper taped together , "welcome home, bird". I had no clue what the thing was. But, it was obvious that someone (my dad, brother, and grandfather) had taken a lot of time and pride in the unknown object. In my previous dwelling place (Houston) I began to like woodworking. I used only hand tools. I would like to say that was due to my principals, but really I had no money or wherewithal to be involved with power.
       I used that as my table saw, joiner, disc sander, drum sander, drill press, and hadn't gotten in to using the lathe or shaper. But, it was a very simple and straight forward motor that even I could work on. To this day, I generally have it set up as my drill press ( in the upright position) , and I still use the drum sander and 12 inch disc sander. I have no idea what the new ones are like. I still haven't used the lathe or shaper yet, but I plan to. I love a good ole shopsmith!
Cheers
Jenny bird
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline Catch22!

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 10:40:56 PM »
I have 2 10ER model ShopSmith's in my shop.  One is a 48 and the other a 51.  Both work perfectly.  I have one set up for sawing (that one  has the speed controller on it) and the other that I primarily use as a flat disk sander, but change it to wood lathe and drill press periodically. I have collected pretty  much every option that the 10ER had.  The most interesting attachment.  A compressor an spray gun.  The compressor is run off the drill chuck.

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 12:00:14 AM »
It has more attachments than the old Electrolux vacuum cleaners with a garment bag and  paint spray feature!
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 09:37:41 AM »
Interesting attachments.   I never did get one, found a 1950s Craftsman wood lathe instead.  And already have a drill press and table saw.  Still, if I ever get enough room, one never knows.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society