Author Topic: Hay Budden  (Read 2941 times)

Offline john k

• Contributor
Hay Budden
« on: September 27, 2016, 12:28:24 PM »
This is the anvil I use each year at a living history event.  It has been in this former owners shop for at least 110 years.  Weight is 170lbs. Hay Budden was one of the best.  Got a Peter Wright at home about the same size.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 09:16:03 PM by john k »
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
Re: Hay Budden
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 06:10:28 PM »
Wow, in the same shop for 110 years! That's a lot of history there.
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 08:24:18 PM »
An old boy in NW Topeka had some anvils and vises and tongs for sale this weekend.  He said he had guys in his yard with flashlights at 6:15 for a 7:00 sale.
They were all gone by the time I dropped by.  I am not into the big iron, but like to see them.  The tongs and hardie/hardy tools? were left behind.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 01:54:06 PM »
The important parts left behind?   Then he didn't price his stuff high enough.  A real blacksmith/metal pounder is always after hardy tools, and tongs.  Can't ever have too many tongs.   Speculators is what hit him,  buy it to make a profit, no love for the tool at all.  Bid against a few of them, asked what they were going to do with a 300lb. anvil,  I will resell it for profit!   Didn't slap him, but wanted to.   Flippers,  can't say enough bad about them. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 05:16:56 PM »
If you want what the flipper is bidding on, you need to remember that he is planning on paying a wholesale price in order to make a profit.
He may keep you from getting a great bargain, but outbidding him is not a bad thing if you are serious about being a buyer.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.