Author Topic: FS/T: Large taps $10/tap + shipping  (Read 5413 times)

Offline Twilight Fenrir

FS/T: Large taps $10/tap + shipping
« on: October 06, 2016, 10:57:49 AM »
I picked up a couple hundred pounds of scrap iron at a local estate sale the other day.... In addition to hammer heads, chisels, and other things I could use, was this assortment of very lage taps.... They are just stupidly high carbon steel to me, as I pray I never need taps this big, but I figured I would see if anyone on here could use them.

#1 is marked 1-1/16 Vermont
#2 is marked 1-1/8  with a maker's mark that looks like /G\T/B\?
#5 is maked 1-1/2" Wellworth Mfg. Co.
#6 is marked 1-1/4 Wellsbros Little Giant
#11 is 3/4" Wellworth

I don't see anything on any of the rest, but I haven't wire wheeled them. If you want me to I can, but wasn't sure if I should or not... #11 and #4 are missing several teeth, and #3 is missing only one tooth, otherwise they appear to be pretty immaculate aside from rust.

If you're interested in any of them, or would like a better picture of any paticular one, just ask. Make me an offer! I'm thinking $10/tap. $15 for the long ones. I'm also open to trades, particularly looking for handled tools, such as top swages/fullers/etc. Anything stamped Atha will interest me as well. Of course, I also accept paypal :)

Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 09:53:13 AM by Twilight Fenrir »

Offline turnnut

Re: FS/T: Large taps
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 12:51:32 PM »
 ? do those large one have NPT on them ??

I don't need any, but they look like they may be pipe taps.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 01:01:09 PM »
#3 through #7 I think are pipe taps, as they are larger than the diameter they say on them.  #11 probably is as well. I have no idea what the long ones are for, but the other short ones I believe are bolt threads, plus #12 is a reamer, and #13 is a giant easy-out...

Offline bill300d

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 01:05:53 PM »
No need for any of them.
Just wanted to let you know #2 is probably G/T\D Greenfield Tap & Die and #'s 5 & 11 are you sure they don't say Walworth and not Wellworth.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 01:19:47 PM »
No need for any of them.
Just wanted to let you know #2 is probably G/T\D Greenfield Tap & Die and #'s 5 & 11 are you sure they don't say Walworth and not Wellworth.

I think you're probably correct on both points! I know when I was writing the post I kept switching back and forth between Wallworth and Wellworth, might be a little dyslexia there :P

Offline turnnut

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 08:42:04 PM »
 perhaps you were trying to say; " It's Wellworth to buy Walworth."

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 01:35:58 PM »
I do not think any of those are pipe taps. I am a bit interested in what value you would place on these individually though.

Offline leg17

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 02:27:03 PM »
#3 through #7 I think are pipe taps, as they are larger than the diameter they say on them.  #11 probably is as well. I have no idea what the long ones are for, but the other short ones I believe are bolt threads, plus #12 is a reamer, and #13 is a giant easy-out...

I agree.
The top two may be for nut tapping but I don't know for sure.

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 04:10:33 PM »

I agree.
The top two may be for nut tapping but I don't know for sure.

The ones thought to be pipe taps do not have threads on them that look anything like a pipe tap would. The threads are much too fine to be pipe tap threads.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 11:30:59 AM »
I do not think any of those are pipe taps. I am a bit interested in what value you would place on these individually though.
Well, I'm not sure, just a guess.... The ones I mentioned have a larger OD than the a bolt the size of what is stamped in them would have. If they're not NPT, I don't know what they are, unless there's a Metric pipe size?

I honestly don't know... When I first put them up, I thought $20 each would be a reasonable price, because of how stupendously expensive the 5/8" and 3/4" bolt taps I had to buy were... But I see pipe taps are less expensive than I would have expected.... So, like I said, make me an offer if you're interested :)  And there are tons of things I'd take in trade!

Offline leg17

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 09:18:20 PM »
Twilight
Can you read any of them?
What exactly is the markings on, say, #5, or any of those first few on the bottom row.
A 3/4 Pipe thread is not 3/4 diameter.

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 10:37:48 PM »
Twilight
What exactly is the markings on, say, #5, or any of those first few on the bottom row.

Since pipe is measured by ID and not OD.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 09:59:15 AM »
rule of thumb; add 1/4" to the size.

3/4"  would measure 1"        1/8" would be 3/8"     etc.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 12:08:28 PM »
Twilight
My initial post says everything I can read on all of them...

I worked in the plumbing field for a couple years, I'm familiar with pipe sizes :P They look the right size for being pipe, I'll have to dig up the few scraps of that diameter iron pipe I might have laying around and see if thry line up...

Offline turnnut

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 08:24:29 PM »
Twilight  Fenrir,  try one on an old pipe fitting.