Author Topic: replacing tires  (Read 2351 times)

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
replacing tires
« on: October 19, 2016, 02:45:32 PM »
 Had my local tire guy (I trust him like a brother) check the tires on my 2010 Escape. Has 98300 plus miles on it and I' m getting some tire noise. He said the tires were made in 2009 and were the original tires . I thought they were but at my age  I could have forgot replacing them. Hate to replace things before they are worn out. He recommended replacing them and to not go out of town till I did. Guess I'll agree. What brand do you guess they are ?

Nother subject Any one know this things proper name. Trademark is an S in a diamond. I'm guessing its a masons tool for insertion in a mortar joint to string a line to keep wall straight but thats only a guess.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:55:30 PM by jimwrench »
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: replacing tires
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 02:52:32 PM »
You've got 98,000 miles on a set of tires on a vehicle that won't be built for four years?  Man, you must put a LOT of miles on your vehicles!

At 98,000 miles, those tires are probably pretty thin; and living where you do, you need to think about snow, and traction in snow.  Are the wear marks showing?  Plus, the manufacturers recommend seven years as kind of the outside lifetime for tires.  So, yeah, I'd stay close to home and not drive fast until you can get them replaced.

Can't help on the whatsit.  For all I know, it's a leatherworking tool of some kind.

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 02:57:53 PM »
Sorry Bill my proofreader only works on days ending in Y. Tis indeed a 2010
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline bill300d

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 02:59:34 PM »
It might be a concrete form pin. Used to attach forms together at their edges.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 07:31:21 PM »
Sorry Bill my proofreader only works on days ending in Y. Tis indeed a 2010
Well, that's better than if it were a 1920 truck.  Or maybe not.  I'd walk across the street and down the block to own a 1920 truck.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 08:08:12 PM »
I wish I got that much out of my tires. Ide still have money in my pocket for a while longer.

I just spent 900 bucks last month on new tires.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 09:50:12 PM »
Since retirement I haven't had to buy new tires in a while, but I always bought Cooper or Kelley SUV tires that give me 75-80 thousand miles.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline amecks

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 07:41:58 AM »
Yeah, I'm amazed that you got 98K on a set of tires.

My guess is Firestone since they have had a relationship with Ford.  Second guess would be Bridgestone (Japanese company) since they apparently now OWN Firestone.

Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 11:39:03 AM »
 Did I mention they are Michelin.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline amecks

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 08:29:38 AM »
jimwrench: "What brand do you guess they are ?"

Ha! I thought we were being quizzed!  I guessed wrong or I would have been asking what the prize was.

Michelins certainly have a good reputation.  I just read that at some point in time they purchased the BF Goodrich brand name.

Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline J.A.F.E.

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 10:49:56 PM »
Far as I know Firestone tires relationship with Ford ended with early Explorer/late Bronco II in the early 90's with the tires that kept delaminating. I think Michelin is the current supplier.

Probably best to replace them if the date code is 2009 rubber gets brittle over time. The work van I drive is a 2012 and the tires were already starting to crack on the sidewalls even though they were within the date code range and for some reason the right rear was the worst - this is the result one hot day about 50 mph on the freeway.

Still plenty of tread left.

All my taste is in my tools.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 10:28:42 AM »
I've had to replace a set of tires recently due to vandalism. Got the one tire replaced free under warranty, felt it was foolish to have 3 other worn tires with one new.

Tires I hear have a time replacement as well as mileage. My local shop won't repair a tire that is passed a certain age even if the tread is still acceptable. In AZ the rubber tends to dry out so tires with low mileage are still considered as needing replacement. Don't know how much truth there is to that, but, that's what the tires boys tell me.
Ratchet Guru