Author Topic: Another Disston saw  (Read 1985 times)

Offline john k

• Contributor
Another Disston saw
« on: December 31, 2016, 09:53:50 AM »
Went thru the pile of saws at the Habitat store yesterday.  I had ignored this (meat) saw earlier, but pulled it out to look it over.   The stamp is H & C Disston, over Phila.   Warranted.  OK a Disston, father and son stamp?   The Keystone stamp is a bit blurred and slightly off center, hand stamped?   Handle is definitely for 3 fingers, and never modified.  The frame is one piece, and the front with hole for the pin is definitely  hand forged.  Thought it was rather interesting, especially for the price.   I have known this type as a butchers saw,  but am wondering with its age if it wasn't an early hacksaw?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline couchspring

• council bluffs,iowa
Re: Another Disston saw
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 01:07:02 PM »
I would say it's a meat saw.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 01:12:40 PM »
I'd speculate meat; no good way to tension the blade for metal cutting.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 03:18:55 PM »
I would also agree with the meat saw guys. What is puzzling is the H & C Disston mark.

I looked thru a lot of information on the Disstonian Institute web site but didn't find any of Henry's sons or grandsons with a C or even a G as a first initial. They don't seem to cover meat saws at all.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 03:26:37 PM »
Hello, I believe wvtools has a similar saw listed on ebay, H.C. Disston label. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 05:57:32 PM »
I even saw a Disston brush popper once. Very plain and simple. Ugly, really. Is there any way the C could stand for Co.?
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 09:29:48 PM »
The stamping is clearly H. & C.  Disston, puzzling, but am pleased to own it.  Not arguing with it being a meat/butchers saw, but when this was built, the only thing being made was soft wrought iron.   Remember Disston also made a hacksaw, that looks exactly like a  D-23, made just for cutting iron.   Own one of those too. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline bill300d

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 10:45:32 PM »
H. & C. Disston was a collaboration between Henry and his brother Charles from what I'm told.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 07:59:44 AM »
EAIA Directory of American Tool Makers states, H & C Disston was a subdivision on H Disston & Sons made saws and trowels. After Charles died in 1895 it was dissolved and its assets reverted back to the parent company. Another listing for Charles states that he was born in in 1823. He held 12 saw and trowel patents.