Author Topic: Stanley Black & Decker buys Craftsman.  (Read 2108 times)

Offline able_walker

Stanley Black & Decker buys Craftsman.
« on: January 05, 2017, 03:24:57 PM »
We all know Craftsman was simply the Sears house line of tools but actually made by any number of US factories over the years..Good deal?..Bad deal?  I'm not even sure if Craftsman is still "Made in USA" these days...EDIT: Same post in General Discussion I just noticed.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-sears-sells-craftsman-stanley-20170105-story.html
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 03:26:30 PM by able_walker »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Stanley Black & Decker buys Craftsman.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 09:46:51 PM »
I work at Ace Hardware, and the boss told me about this today. I asked what that news meant concerning our deal with Sears in carrying the Craftsman name. He didn't know. Ace has an exclusivity agreement with Sears - I doubt Stanley would honor that. So, Ace might drop Craftsman tools. Only good thing about that is perhaps Ace and their buying power could entice another USA brand to sell to them. S-K?
Ratchet Guru

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 10:04:43 PM »
bonneyman, does your store exchange broken Craftsman tools ? It's hard enough to get Sears to exchange them around here.

EvilDr235

Offline able_walker

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 10:32:33 PM »
I worked at an industrial tool supplier starting in about 1997....Proto...Klein...Ridgid...Williams...Stahlwille..etc. Around 2000 or so all these companies started really tightening up on warranty replacement...what used to be "lifetime" became "life of the tool" so misuse through cheater bars or putting non impact sockets on impact wrenches or using screwdrivers as prybars or old rusty beat up flea market finds were no longer replaced as they once were. I think it simply became too expensive as competition heated up and market share dwindled. Craftsman I heard were still very good with no questions asked but they probably stopped replacing misused and really old tools.

Offline Catch22!

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 10:49:25 PM »
That will be an interesting point on this sale.  Will Black & Decker still honor the lifetime warranty on Craftsman tools?   I actually like how Black & Decker has been coming back lately.  Better tools, great service, new innovations, etc.   They could gain a good step up if they keep the lifetime guarantee on Craftsman tools.

Three years ago, my B&D dremel type tool broke. A spring that acts as a clutch/shock absorber between the bit and the motor broke.  I could not find the part on-line and gave B&D a call.  Lady on the line said that part was no longer available. But then said if I did not mind last years model, they would send me a new tool for free.  Did not even pay for shipping.  Things like that tend to make loyal customers.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 01:34:54 PM »
Further news-
Apex will discontinue Armstrong in favor of Gearwrench.
http://www.thestate.com/news/business/article126068444.html
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 08:51:13 PM »
bonneyman, does your store exchange broken Craftsman tools ? It's hard enough to get Sears to exchange them around here.

EvilDr235

Yes - if we carry a comparable tool.
Ratchet Guru