Author Topic: My newest toolbox find  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Bad 31

My newest toolbox find
« on: February 06, 2017, 09:58:51 PM »
Thought some of you might enjoy seeing what I drug home the other day. I found it sitting out front of a "junk" store and the old man said if I wanted it, I could take it home. I currently have Sherwin Williams doing a paint match as the outside is pretty rusty from all the years outside. If this should be relocated to another forum, please do. I wasn't sure where to post this.

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: My newest toolbox find
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 10:17:24 PM »
SK boxes don't surface that often.  Do the drawers open yet?  How is the lid?  This is similar to one I have but mine has 2 drawers.  Green hammer-tone paint,
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Bad 31

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 06:42:34 PM »
The drawers pull out and have stops. The green felt liners are in remarkably good shape with only minor oil stains for the age of the box. I judge the box to be 60-75 years old. The outside of the box is rough on the top as it's been left out in the weather. The finish is "wrinkle paint" and almost Army Green. I'm using the back of one of the drawers as a match point for the new paint. It's the least effected by the elements.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 09:25:04 PM »
This is my S&K tool box. I bought it in 1982 at a flea market in Salem Oregon. It cost me $2.00 It is my portable tool box. It has a lift out tray.

EvilDr235

Offline Bad 31

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 10:50:27 PM »
Very nice!, I'm sure I could double your money if it needs to find a new home! Metal SK boxes are hard to find down here in the South. Even the small ones for socket sets are pretty tough. I have a few 1/4" boxes, a couple of 3/8" boxes, one of which is a SK Wayne, but no 1/2" boxes.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 11:42:01 PM »
I am thinking of retiring the S&K box while it is still in good shape. I will dig out a Craftsman tote box and move the tools to it. This box will get cleaned up and put on the shelf with older S&K tools in it. Back in 1970 i bought a 1/2 inch drive SK Wayne  set of tools in the factory box from the milk man. He was out early every day and picked up good deals at garage sales. I worked as a engine mechanic for 32 years and when i retired i only had a few of the tools left. The ratchet grew legs and walked away. I broke the flex handle by putting a cheater bar on it and i broke most of the sockets using them with a impact gun. The handle from the flex handle was used in the making of a lead hammer. I still have the box somewhere along with a few smaller ones. I just checked out in the garage and found two S-K Wayne 3/8 drive boxes in two different sizes. I have quite a few S&K and S-K Wayne tools i have picked up over the years. I have a S&K 1/2 inch ratchet that is re badged as a Artisan ratchet and had a 1/4 inch one that was re badged as a Mac ratchet.

EvilDr235

Offline Bad 31

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 08:02:12 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I love to hear stories of the old tools. I wonder how many ratchets were broken with a "cheater" bar? I picked up a 1/2" SK Wayne ratchet yesterday for free that had the handle broken off 5" below the head. I figured it'd be good for OEM parts anyway. I've just about completed a 3/8" SK Wayne socket set. Building one brick at a time takes a lot of time and digging but it's what I enjoy.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 08:22:15 PM »
I have several other S&K flex handles with the square drive part broke off. I have a big piece of brass round stock that i could use to make a couple of brass hammers. Years ago i worked with a fellow that had one of those S&K 3/8 drive roto head ratchets. He threw it away because it needed a rebuild kit. I should have saved it and either got a rebuild kit or gutted a normal ratchet for the parts.

EvilDr235

Offline Bad 31

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 10:30:31 PM »
Maybe I shouldn't say this out loud but since it's only you and me here I guess it's OK. There's an 800 number you can call and SK will send you rebuild kits for your SK ratchets free of charge. I ordered two a couple of weeks ago and got them last week. One was for a SK Wayne 3/8" drive. Just give them your model number and an address.