Author Topic: Unusual small screwdriver  (Read 1898 times)

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
Unusual small screwdriver
« on: February 08, 2017, 08:07:52 PM »
I like small tools for a couple reasons. First they don't take up much space, and secondly they weigh a whole lot less than their bigger counterparts. So when I saw this little screwdriver on a guys table at the Peach Meet, I had to pick it up. The first thing I noticed was the metal end cap, which is unusual in small drivers. The second thing is that it was marked with the OVB logo and thirdly it was marked with 3 patent dates. And lastly I just liked it.

The OVB stands for Our Very Best, the slogan of the Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co., hardware dealers in Chicago,IL.  The company ultimately became the True Value Hardware co. There is more information here for anyone who is interested.  http://www.thckk.org/history/hsb.pdf

I checked the patent numbers and found they were all issued to George E. Wood of Southington, CT. He and a gentleman named Hurley, formed a company called Hurwood that was ultimately purchased by Stanley. These 3 patents are the same ones used in the manufacture of the Everlasting chisels.  Closer examination of my example shows a line around the shank just below the patent dates that is identical to an Everlasting chisel I have.

I have to admit that I missed seeing the line until I went back and looked closer after looking at the patents. In my defense, the line isn't very visible, and besides my eyes are getting old.

Length of the screwdriver is 4 5/8 in. and the diameter of the wood handle is 7/8 in.

Mike

Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: Unusual small screwdriver
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 08:58:39 PM »
Hmm,  familiar with OVB, but never seen their stamp on such a tiny screwdriver.  So I dug out 4 of my little ones,  and think there is something stamped on the shaft of one.  So I went to the shop and retrieved a lighted magnifier, and after 15 minutes of squinting, do believe there is a stamp of something there, not OVB but some letters.  I am going to check again, as soon as my eye strain lets up, can't open both eyes at once WHEW.  Neat.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society