Author Topic: Unusual Plomb WF-38  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Northwoods

Unusual Plomb WF-38
« on: March 20, 2017, 05:50:15 PM »
Take a look at this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112318316030

It's my new Plomb WF-38.  First one I have seen of this type.  It is like a 5449 1/2" rat in all respects except for the marking and the oil port behind the selector switch.  I have not seen an oil port on a 5449.
One side of the shank says: WF-38 PLOMB  (Both bobs point down.)
The other side of the shank:  MADE/IN U.S.A.
The only 5449's I have seen with markings on the shank were pre-war.  Later ones have markings on the plate.
Any thoughts on this one?  Is it a very early WF?  Is it simply a low production example WF?  Is it a late WF?
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline EVILDR235

Re: Unusual Plomb WF-38
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 07:23:44 PM »
You won the auction on that ? When you get it could you post some better pictures of it ? My guesses are a early WF-38 or a late one used to fill a military contract due to shortages of the other style. The more Plomb and Proto family ratchets I collect and research, the more oddball ones I find. I have some P&C tools with WF part numbers. One could build a collection of the Plomb / Proto family of ratchets that would be never ending. I just found another # 5249 Proto 3/8 ratchet with a dual stamped side cover. I wish that picture of the odd WF-38 on eBay was bigger.

EvilDr235
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:27:08 PM by EVILDR235 »

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 07:37:52 PM »
Hello, Did you try clicking on "See original listing"?  More pictures will be available, with better detail. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 08:29:17 PM »
Thank you lptools. I did see much better pictures. That On and Off stamping is something new also as is the chrome plating. I wonder if that could have been a prototype (no pun intended) that was offered to the military ? My Plomb ratchets of that style and era all have polished steel finishes. I like that oil port feature. There is probably some weird dude named Dr. Globemaster living in his parents basement in Fresno making Frankenplombs to mess with us.

EvilDr235

Offline Northwoods

The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Twertsy

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 05:49:26 AM »
That's almost certainly post war.  I'm also not convinced that's an oil port.  When you get it, or if you've already got it, does the "oil port" snag the selector switch on the way by?

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 08:51:25 AM »
The nipple is in the center of the 3/8" indent. It has a very light spring behind it.
I agree with you in that the chrome indicates post-war manufacture.
WF-38 for the government and pebbles for the civilians?  But we know that Proto continued to make a few paddle-handle WF-38's after the name change.
Very confusing.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Twertsy

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 09:28:34 AM »
The nipple is in the center of the 3/8" indent. It has a very light spring behind it.
I agree with you in that the chrome indicates post-war manufacture.
WF-38 for the government and pebbles for the civilians?  But we know that Proto continued to make a few paddle-handle WF-38's after the name change.
Very confusing.

I'm not sure if I have one of those or not.  I'll take a look later this week when I make it back to the shop.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 03:02:41 PM »
Instead of a oil port could that be a detent ball to keep the lever from moving. Some Armstrong ratchets using the Plomb / Proto ratchet design had a detent ball to keep the shift lever from accidentally moving.

EvilDr235

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 06:28:54 PM »
Your guess is as good as mine.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.