Author Topic: Walden Worcester Pebble  (Read 2440 times)

Offline john k

• Contributor
Walden Worcester Pebble
« on: March 23, 2017, 07:13:40 PM »
Have been holding off on buying tools, as its getting crowded.  But saw this and the price was right, and now will not be able to get rid of it, like so much of my iron.  Ten inch, beat on but not terrible, plating has held up well.  Never seen a Walden Worcester  adjustable of any kind, have you?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline turnnut

Re: Walden Worcester Pebble
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 09:18:52 PM »
 yes, I have the same 10 incher.  in small letters/numbers nearer the handle end is   A10

they are nice wrenches.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 09:22:04 PM »
Very nice John, I've never seen one before. I wonder if it was available in a 4 in. size?

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline bill300d

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 10:29:43 PM »
yes, I have the same 10 incher.  in small letters/numbers nearer the handle end is   A10

they are nice wrenches.

Any idea as to maker. Inquiring minds want to know.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 06:29:44 AM »
Anybody else notice that the adjuster looks "funny". It appears to have a spot on the fixed jaw side where there is no knurling, unlike the Crescent below it where the knurling covers all of the adjuster.

I looked through the Walden catalogs on the Tool Archives site and didn't find an adjustable like this. Maybe Todd has some he hasn't scanned yet and he could look.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Twertsy

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 06:57:46 AM »

they are nice wrenches.

Any idea as to maker. Inquiring minds want to know.

Just a theory............The configuration of the "Made in U.S.A." points to Plomb/Proto, as does the pebble background.  I theorize they may have been made special by JPD (as part of Plomb) which begs the question, did the JPD facility also make the Pebble tools?

Offline Twertsy

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 07:05:38 AM »
Anybody else notice that the adjuster looks "funny". It appears to have a spot on the fixed jaw side where there is no knurling, unlike the Crescent below it where the knurling covers all of the adjuster.

I looked through the Walden catalogs on the Tool Archives site and didn't find an adjustable like this. Maybe Todd has some he hasn't scanned yet and he could look.

Mike

Now you're giving me guilt........

When I went and scanned all those catalogs at the Smithsonian, they brought out piles of Walden catalogs, at least 75.  Unfortunately, I never got to them.  Guess I may have to go back at some point but they were large catalogs and very awkward to scan.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 09:03:32 AM »
The knurled nut looks like it is not a good fit, maybe a replacement.  Does not contact the sliding jaw very well.  The Crescent I  put in there is an old one, the jaws are 3/4 in. thick.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 03:30:39 PM »
 John,  my 10 incher also has that same adjuster as yours, and there also slop in the sliding jaw.
 I believe it was made that way.

are you talking about the Walden having 3/4"  jaws ?    mine is only 3/8" weighs 1 lb. 3 1/2 oz.

*  just added;   the adjuster screw takes an allen wrench to remove  it,  not a screwdriver.

on bay, there is another 10" pebble Walden.   also a 8" Walden adjustable.  (non-pebble)

I believe they were made by Walden and not jobbed out.  but I  could be wrong. they made hundreds of different types
 of wrenches. they had the know-how and ability.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 08:13:49 PM by turnnut »

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 11:14:31 PM »
The Crescent has the thick jaws.   I have stumbled across several adjustables, Diamond and Crescent with the early thick jaws, sure makes the wrench beefy.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 11:19:13 PM by john k »

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 05:17:24 PM »
I have a 10" which I think is the same as the one tutnnut has. On mine the moving jaws is fairly sloppy and is held with a allen screw.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 08:45:33 PM »
 it acts like the type of adjusting nut used is the reason for the sloppy play.

Offline bill300d

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 10:06:08 AM »
Found it in Shulz's but no more info than we all ready know.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.