Author Topic: Garage Sale  (Read 1408 times)

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Garage Sale
« on: April 07, 2017, 06:19:45 PM »
Hello, Here are photos of the tools that fit in a 10 quart milk can!!! I did hand carry the Stanley 4-1/2 C plane. Williams, Mac, Proto, yes that is a Proto Tubing Cutter. The adjustable wrench , upper right is a Robinson. Handle Lock Wrench Co. Socket Set, Jamestown , NY  (lower left), Armstrong, Spin-Tite, Vise-Grip. Not sure of the manufacturer of the center knob adjustable. Collins Hatchet, and an egg shaped dolly? Surform, Snap-on Distributor Wrench (not in photo), nice Utica 6" Adjustable. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline EVILDR235

Re: Garage Sale
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 07:23:29 PM »
I think you win the prize for the best score of the week. You did very well. I had a good one like that a few months ago at a estate sale. There was a snow storm going on, but I still managed to fill 3 cardboard boxes with tools. I wonder who really made the Proto tubing cutter ?

EvilDr235

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 07:27:04 PM »
Looks an awful lot like a Ridgid? I will see if I can get a photo of the two. Regards, Lou

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 08:08:12 PM »
I bought a Ridgid tubing cutter at the Habitat Restore 2 days ago still in the factory package. I also have a used one of the same model. They both have a spare cutting wheel stored in the knob and is held in place by the knob retaining screw. Yours looks like my General made one and my Craftsman made ones. I have a pair of Vise Grips stamped Proto and a pair of Vise grips stamped P&C. I paid $4.00 for the new Ridgid tubing cutter and online they are $28.00 at most online tool sites. I am a sucker for buying good tools at cheap prices. A late friend of mine once told me (Charley don't ever buy anything that you can't sell for a profit).

EvilDr235

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 08:10:05 PM »
The center knob adjustable is a Baxter patent. Looks like several different manufacturers. Nice haul!

http://www.datamp.org/patents/advance.php?pn=84605&id=13763&set=6

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 06:44:00 AM »
Hello, Evildr, & Mike. Thanks for the replies. I pulled out a few tubing cutters. The 2 at top are a Craftsman, and a General, very similar. Bottom left is the Proto, with a Ridgid beneath it. Bottom right are 2 versions of the Ridgid No. 10. Anyone notice the similarities? differences? Regards, Lou.    It took me a few minutes before I saw them.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 09:11:26 AM »
Me no see pictures ? Maybe if I put my glasses on ?

EvilDr235

Offline bill300d

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 09:23:13 AM »
Me no see pictures ? Maybe if I put my glasses on ?

EvilDr235
I even tried mine backwards and that didn't work either.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 10:39:35 AM »
Hello, i will try again!!!!!!!  Camera, computer, and I, are not playing well together this morning. Regards, Lou
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 07:36:58 PM by lptools »

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 07:08:31 PM »
On the Proto the cutting wheel is on the adjustable part rather than the fixed part. The Ridgids have the cutting wheels in different locations. Cutting wheel locations on my C-man and General are both on the fixed part of the tool. Two of my Ridgid cutters are model number #105 and a third Ridgid I have is a model number #15 and is quite heavy, but still made of pot metal. My C-man and General are the same tool except for the name.

EvilDr235

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 05:11:46 PM »
Hello, EviDr. Thanks for the reply, the same things caught my eye. I never paid much attention before to the little manufacturing details!!  Regards, Lou

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 09:17:37 PM »
I like the tubing cutters with the extra cutting wheel. All the different makers of these tools seem to have their own size of cutting wheel and replacements are hard to find. That little feature decides which brand of tool I would buy. Ease of getting replacement parts is important. Be it tools, cars / trucks or firearms I have replacement parts for most of them.

EvilDr235