Author Topic: New Member cgw2also  (Read 3011 times)

Offline cgw2also

New Member cgw2also
« on: April 29, 2017, 06:48:14 PM »
 Well I guess an introduction is in order before I ask a few questions. I'm 71, retired from the HVAC industry after 51 years, started in a Lennox factory then moved to their R&D then to a dealer doing service then to my own business doing service/install then when the economy went south in 1988 went back to Lennox till 2010 then went to work for a dealer as his warehouse manager for 6 years. After a stroke in Feb. 2015 I had to cut back to part time and then last May I had a small heart attack that required 2 stents and went back to work p/t and then decided to retire at the end of July. That's it in a nutshell and besides going to the rec 6 days a week to exercise I've found that finding old tools at flea markets and other places is somewhat stimulating, fun and can be profitable so far, just don't get too attached to them.  Now to the question board.

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
Re: New Member cgw2also
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 08:33:24 PM »
Don't get too attached to them???? Clearly I haven't mastered that skill yet.

Welcome aboard Charlie!
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 08:38:55 PM »
Welcome to Tool Talk!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Yadda

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 09:30:09 PM »

+1

... and welcome.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline turnnut

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 09:38:59 PM »
 welcome to tool talk Charlie, 

what state are you from ?

you are receiving this welcome from Massachusetts

Offline cgw2also

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 02:22:03 AM »
Texas in Georgetown.

Offline bill300d

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 07:50:34 AM »

Welcome aboard Charlie!

Nor I!   

Welcome Charlie.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline cgw2also

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 10:35:36 AM »
Well the idea in the beginning was to find good/interesting wrenches at a price that would let me resell at a fair price. THEN I found this Billings & Spencer that threw me for a loop when I found it. Couldn't figure out what the sizes on it meant AND it is a well made even handsome wrench, if you can apply that term to a wrench. Came home and quickly educated on early wrenches and their sizing among other things. This one is of the 1915 to 1926 era B&S so I/it sorta want to get attached, theres that word again, instead of resell. So I can now understand better ya'lls - that's TEXAN by the way, responses. Stuff grows on ya especially old school.  Newbie Charlie out for now.

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 03:28:46 PM »
Charlie, I hope you have a nice sized shop or garage with lots of storage; I believe you're gonna need it.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 07:44:30 AM »
Hi Charlie, welcome from sunny Florida! You're in good company here. Many of us have slid down the "slippery slope" of going from sellers to collectors. It becomes hard to let go of some of those unusual pieces. Just remember...if you have more than one of an item, you have become a collector.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Bad 31

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 09:31:21 AM »
Charlie, welcome from Alabama. Mike said "if you have more than one of an item, you have become a collector." So... if you have more than five of one thing, you might be a hoarder! I think they're several of those here as well! Remember, when you slide down the "slippery slope", you land at Tool Talk. Welcome to the funny farm.

Offline p_toad

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 10:50:22 PM »
Charlie, welcome from beautiful Ohio.   When you're out looking and that tool says "take me home"; well, sometimes you just gotta do what ya do.   :embarrassed:

Offline Yadda

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 10:55:51 PM »
Charlie, welcome from Alabama. Mike said "if you have more than one of an item, you have become a collector." So... if you have more than five of one thing, you might be a hoarder! I think they're several of those here as well! Remember, when you slide down the "slippery slope", you land at Tool Talk. Welcome to the funny farm.

On another forum I frequent they have another saying, "Two is one and one is none."   That statement is used to justify back ups for everything. 
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....