Author Topic: Levels  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Hoarder

Levels
« on: May 01, 2017, 09:56:57 AM »
Hello, First post. Wanted to share some levels found in my Grandfathers tool boxes.
First is a 6 inch rose wood (I think) level with no marking I can find. It's different in that there is only one line that the bubble is centered on.
Second is a 6 inch cast iron chrome plated with no marking I can find. Considering the cost to make it seems unusual the mold wouldn't include a manufacturer.
Third (I'm cheating a little) is actually 9 inches long but want to group them together. Its a Disston No. A-10 featherweight aluminum level. I found a listing in the Disston 1939 catalog. I guess my Grandfather like it there's a splice repair done to a cracked bottom done pretty well.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:10:00 AM by Hoarder »

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
Re: Levels
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 11:58:19 AM »
I would agree that the first one looks like rosewood. That being said, you usually found  rosewood on the more expensive levels. The ones that are fully brass bound or at least with brass end caps. The single line was not unusual on early levels.

You might send a picture or two of the second level to Jim Gehring at the Fine Tool Journal. He is a big level collector and researcher. He would also probably know when the switch was made from a single line to double lines.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 01:26:26 PM »
Definitely rosewood.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 09:16:38 PM »
Thanks for cheating on that nine-inch level; I've got one of those, and it's nice to know that it's a Disston.