Author Topic: Perfect handle screw driver  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Hoarder

Perfect handle screw driver
« on: May 08, 2017, 08:04:14 PM »
Hi, Have this screw driver and use it. The wood handles are loose and beat up. I would like to replace them but how were the original handles attached? Looking at what I have the rivet or bolts have been peened who knows how often. What was the original method. Thanks

Offline amecks

Re: Perfect handle screw driver
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 08:48:31 PM »
I can't answer about the original method of attachment but here's a related topic.  Read John K's and Scott's replies to my post.

http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=11818.msg76490#msg76490
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 09:48:08 PM »
All the ones I have,  and its about 20, have the rivets peened down, or riveted!   Never seen any fancy fasteners.  Back in the day they probably had a press that whacked the rivet in one hit.  I myself use nails, being soft enough to peen easily.  To hold the scales on securely I use Epoxy, keeps things from moving.  Glue on one side.  Drill from inside to outside.   Glue on the other half,, drill from outside to outside.  Want to make sure they stay tight?   Drill each at an angle from each other, locks the scales on without using epoxy. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Hoarder

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 10:35:58 AM »
Thanks Amecks & John K for the information and links. Low tech approach appears what's needed.