Author Topic: Buffalo Blower & Forge drill press No. 18  (Read 5437 times)

Offline Twilight Fenrir

Buffalo Blower & Forge drill press No. 18
« on: November 03, 2016, 08:08:28 AM »
This is probably the most modern piece of machinery I've seen from Buffalo B&F...  And I just picked it up at auction for about $130 from the local community college. Unlike my other antique drill presses, the quill in this thing is rock solid, no slop. I desperately needed an accurate drill press, and this will do the job nicely!

Offline Yadda

Re: Buffalo Blower & Forge drill press No. 18
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 07:20:32 PM »
Nice buy!
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 08:42:29 PM »
That looks to be industrial quality throughout.   Good buy,  how big is the motor?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 09:33:14 PM »
That looks to be industrial quality throughout.   Good buy,  how big is the motor?
Pretty much! I'm pretty sure it's not the original motor, it just has a little 1/2hp GE motor. But, I have a literal pile of electric motors in my garage, so I'm not super concerned about it. I'm sure that 1/2hp will do well enough for the time being though.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 07:45:37 PM »
Buffalo made fantastic drill presses.  Good buy.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 07:20:24 AM »
It's amazing how much adjustability this beast has. THe head can be raised/lowered/rotated on the main shaft with a little quick-adjust clamp. As can the table of course. *sniffles* It's so beautiful  :cry:

Apparently, I can't read... Because it has a 3/4hp 3ph electric motor. So, I do have to change the motor out, but, as I said before, I have a great big pile of them, not a big deal. I don't have anything quite as strong as a 3/4hp 3ph laying around, but I don't have big holes to make right now, so the regular 3/4hp I have will do...

And, luckily it has the same size never-slip chuck as my old sloppy press, so I just popped out my keyless chuck and jammed it in without any trouble. There are a few 'extras' pieces missing, like an adjustable stop, but it will be easy enough fabricate one now that I have this press. I have to figure out how to increase the spring tension on the lowering wheel-y thing...

I really should get a phase converter if I'm going to keep picking up and operating all this heavy equipment.

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 03:01:26 PM »
I think Buffalo electric drill presses and Buffalo Forge and Blower were different companies, but I will qualify my comment by saying I am not always right! LOL

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 05:06:03 PM »
Ooh, I got a nice spot here in my shop for that one if you ever decide to get rid of it T.F.
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 06:05:33 PM »
nice find!

A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 07:22:16 PM »
I think Buffalo electric drill presses and Buffalo Forge and Blower were different companies, but I will qualify my comment by saying I am not always right! LOL
I believe it actually said Buffalo Blower & Forge, but I'm not 100% sure, and can't check anymore because....

Ooh, I got a nice spot here in my shop for that one if you ever decide to get rid of it T.F.

Sorry, I already sold it to a friend after I picked up my 25" Camelback ^^; He needed a press, and my camelback outclassed that little Buffalo in every way...

I do have a Champion Blower & Forge No. 203 I'm considering getting rid of... if you have room for a 8' tall, 500lb machine that needs some machine work to make it accurate, but is otherwise complete and fully functional :P

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 09:54:32 AM »
I believe it actually said Buffalo Blower & Forge, but I'm not 100% sure, and can't check anymore because....

Sorry, I already sold it to a friend after I picked up my 25" Camelback ^^; He needed a press, and my camelback outclassed that little Buffalo in every way...

I do have a Champion Blower & Forge No. 203 I'm considering getting rid of... if you have room for a 8' tall, 500lb machine that needs some machine work to make it accurate, but is otherwise complete and fully functional :P

Sounds like I was mistaken!