Author Topic: My "new" 25" camelback drill press!  (Read 15480 times)

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
Re: My "new" 25" camelback drill press!
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2017, 10:02:29 PM »
I like your handle patch.

Good ol JB Weld!
Chilly

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2017, 08:29:35 AM »
I like your handle patch.

Good ol JB Weld!
Chilly
Thanks :3 It works for now. I flipped the lever 20 or 30 times and it seems pretty solid. We'll see how long it holds up, but I'm pretty confident in it, I think the bolt will make it strong enough.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2017, 09:23:59 PM »
Blah, things took a hard turn down disaster avenue today... I managed to finish running the wire, and get everything connected for real... And the drill press motor wouldn't turn on... After a few minutes of scratching my head, and pushing the button again, and again, and again, expecting something different to magically happen, I pulled out my multimeter.

I found I DID have power on all 3 legs to the drill press switch, but apparently the wires between my switch and the motor were grounding out to the chassis somewhere, so the switch wouldn't let me turn it on. Amazing how clever 80 year old technology can be... Anywho, the insulation on the wires coming out of the motor down where it comes out of the motor was all cracked and rotten. After cursing for a bit, I demounted the motor, and managed to crack it open (after shattering the incredibly flimsy pulley that was on there... Another $10 tacked on to this project..) Luckily, there was enough wire inside the motor for me to solder on new leads, and poke them back out of the motor. I am incredibly lucky that this is an ancient motor that was designed to be serviceable. A lot of newer motors are pressed together. I haven't gotten it back in, as I need to pick up a pulley tomorrow and it will be easier to mount it with the motor off than on.

Another problem I was having, is that after turning on my converter switch for about 30 seconds, it would kick off... I had the same problem on the machine I stole the switch from, but I assumed it was the motor overheating... After scratching my head again, with more swearing... I eventually figured out I have it installed backwards ^^; I'm not used to switches having a definitive "In" and "out". But, I was done for today, so I haven't flipped it around yet to see if it solves my problems. Hopefully I'll get it done this weekend.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:25:50 PM by Twilight Fenrir »

Offline jabberwoki

• Puyallup WA
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2017, 06:18:44 PM »
Congrats , I got a big boy a few years ago and fixed it up. Makes drilling holes a real pleasure.
Looking forward to seeing it all done.

Here`s the link to mine at the Garage Gazette.   http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=18869.0

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2017, 06:42:36 PM »
Today continued to not be smooth... Turns out, my motor has a goofy arbor size, 1-3/8" o.o So, the place I buy all my pulleys from didn't have anything with that size... I found I could custom order one, and did so, but it cost $32 T.T

Also, after futzing around with my switch a while longer, I discovered it has a thermal protection setup I've never seen before... (It may be common to the world, but I've never personally seen one) it has little heater elements that are wired in line! It turns out, these elements can be swapped out to match whatever motor you are running with the switch! Pretty nifty. It had N-19 heaters, which are rated for 3.2A, which explains why it tripped even when I had a 120v 1/2HP motor running off of it...

Luckily, someone on eBay had the heaters I needed pretty cheap, so I ordered a pair of N-30s. With shipping, came to $8, which was significantly cheaper than buying a new switch... and less re-wiring..

Back to waiting for parts... almost there.... again....

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2017, 12:15:17 PM »
It's up and running! But I'm having a hard time getting a video to upload... So, sorry, nothing to share at the moment...

I've got some fine tuning to do still.... The V-belts are a little too tight, and the flat belt is a little too loose, but these are easily remedied.

My new pulley doesn't quite fit my motor arbor, despite supposedly being a 1-3/8 bore on the pulley... I'm gonna get my calliper out and contact the manufacturer this weekend. But for now I've got it shimmed with some sections I cut out of a pop can. So it's usable as-is. :3

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2017, 12:21:42 PM »
Cool!
probably best to upload to youtube or vimeo and share a link to the video
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2017, 01:38:22 PM »
Cool!
probably best to upload to youtube or vimeo and share a link to the video
I used to do it to photobucket, but it's having none of that for some reason now... I'll try youtube...

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2017, 01:50:06 PM »
Here we go... Thrilling stuff to watch, I know, but I'm excited to finally have a drill press with no slop in the quill... This is my 5th press, and I hope it's the last! The chattering you hear is the pulley wobbling on my motor arbor... Once I get that shimmed, or replaced, it will be much quieter...

Now I just gotta figure out what to do with all the holes drilled in the table.... I've read some interesting ideas, my favorite is taking metal dust, mixing it with a little resin and just pouring it in. Supposed to yield a patch basically as good as the surrounding metal, as it's 95% made out of the surrounding metal. But it will be a chore to clean it well enough to patch. For now, I'll probably just bolt a plate on top.

https://youtu.be/CYcOtfsjymU
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:08:33 PM by Twilight Fenrir »

Offline p_toad

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2017, 07:31:40 PM »
Nice.   Thanks!  :smiley:

Offline turnnut

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2017, 09:35:13 PM »
  Twilight,  that is music at it's finest,  I was hoping to hear it running, thanks.

as for the pulley, could you heat the pulley and let some lead seep into the open space,
   something like pouring babbit bearings

just a wild thought.  Frank   

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2017, 10:25:06 PM »
  Twilight,  that is music at it's finest,  I was hoping to hear it running, thanks.

as for the pulley, could you heat the pulley and let some lead seep into the open space,
   something like pouring babbit bearings

just a wild thought.  Frank
I probably could... I dunno, it wouldn't be much lead, granted, but that's still lopsiding mass that spins at 1750 RPMs...

The shims I cut out of aluminum cans has taken the clatter out, and I think I'm sufficiently lazy that I'm just gonna leave it that way, unless it causes trouble down the road :P

I have to give the flat-belt a bit of a pull to get the motor started when it's under the load of the press, though. I'm not sure if I just need to loosen the V-belt tension a bit more or if the motor is weak, but it's not a big deal. In the next few days I'll mount my vise, and try drilling a hole in something :P

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2017, 11:18:28 AM »
That's almost as memorizing as a power hammer!  good to see it in action!
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2017, 06:29:08 PM »
The chatter is gone, and the press starts up without a hand turn now, just had to slacken the V-belts a little bit more!

I do declare this press effectively done! (Until such time as I have the leisure time to paint it :P)

Now, on to my new power hacksaw, which the thread will be going up for shortly! :P

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2017, 09:38:02 AM »
Look at what just showed up on our local Craigslist.

https://allentown.craigslist.org/tls/6144342146.html

Up for sale is an antique Monarch Machinery camel back drill press manufactured in Philadelphia, PA. There are also pulley wheels, metal shelves, a metal cabinet, and other tools such as a grinder included in the sale if you are interested. Check the pictures below. These are in the basement of a garage workshop. I am not sure of the age of these items, but the house was built in 1911. The garage is dry in the basement, but years of moisture have rusted everything. The drill press can be moved in one piece, I am not sure if it will come apart. The other items are bolted into the wall and will need an impact wrench or grinder to remove them. The walls are solid and built like a bunker. Some things are rusted shut and I am not sure if they will be usable again. I think all of this aged industrial machinery would be great deco for a steampunk themed restaurant or business. I also have a rough cut wood workbench with a metal bending tool and crimper tool attached, it is in another listing. Only serious buyers and reasonable offers please. If interested, please respond with a phone number I can reach you at.