Author Topic: My "new" 25" camelback drill press!  (Read 15612 times)

Offline Twilight Fenrir

Re: My "new" 25" camelback drill press!
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2017, 11:01:21 AM »
Look at what just showed up on our local Craigslist.

https://allentown.craigslist.org/tls/6144342146.html

Up for sale is an antique Monarch Machinery camel back drill press manufactured in Philadelphia, PA. There are also pulley wheels, metal shelves, a metal cabinet, and other tools such as a grinder included in the sale if you are interested. Check the pictures below. These are in the basement of a garage workshop. I am not sure of the age of these items, but the house was built in 1911. The garage is dry in the basement, but years of moisture have rusted everything. The drill press can be moved in one piece, I am not sure if it will come apart. The other items are bolted into the wall and will need an impact wrench or grinder to remove them. The walls are solid and built like a bunker. Some things are rusted shut and I am not sure if they will be usable again. I think all of this aged industrial machinery would be great deco for a steampunk themed restaurant or business. I also have a rough cut wood workbench with a metal bending tool and crimper tool attached, it is in another listing. Only serious buyers and reasonable offers please. If interested, please respond with a phone number I can reach you at.
Holy crap! I want that line shaft! XD

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2017, 01:03:00 PM »
I liked that video.

Those holes look small enough that a drill vise wouldn't be affected.  I think it is usable, until you can get to the repairs, at least. Even with that long quill it is nice to be able to clamp close to the table.

How long is the stroke on that press?

Chilly

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2017, 08:02:17 PM »
I liked that video.

Those holes look small enough that a drill vise wouldn't be affected.  I think it is usable, until you can get to the repairs, at least. Even with that long quill it is nice to be able to clamp close to the table.

How long is the stroke on that press?

Chilly
The holes are much worse than they look there... And there's countless numbers of them. I think the only flat parts of the table are on the edges. My X/Y vise is too small for the table, haha. It cannot be mounted under the chuck without the table getting in the way of turning the handle... But, I'll just have to make an extension for it.

The press has an 18" stroke on it. I'm not sure why it's labeled a 25" drill press.... What is that 25" referring to?

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2017, 12:01:08 AM »
Could it be from the center line of the chuck and the frame of the drill?  like a lathe that can spin a 10" diameter part makes it a 10" lathe, going way back that would have been a 5" lathe.
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2017, 08:01:57 AM »
Could it be from the center line of the chuck and the frame of the drill?  like a lathe that can spin a 10" diameter part makes it a 10" lathe, going way back that would have been a 5" lathe.

Oh, sure, that would make sense! Sounds about right, too...

Offline bill300d

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2017, 09:03:55 AM »
OG has it correct.
Their size is determined by the distance from the drill to the column. For example, a 12" drill press will bore a hole through the center of a round piece 12" in diameter. What it means is the size is determined by the distance from drill point to column but the actual advertised size is the diameter of the biggest round piece that can be drilled on center, or double the distance from drill to post
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.