Author Topic: LARGE Old wrench for tractor or implement?  (Read 6589 times)

Offline cgw2also

LARGE Old wrench for tractor or implement?
« on: May 25, 2017, 12:22:26 AM »
 Saw this one in an antique store last week and went back 2 days ago and bought it cause it was so different. First thing that caught my eye is it's size, about 19 inches. Then what is usually the flat smooth area around the openings reminds me of a crescent moon on this one because of the shape. I quickly realized it was pre 1929 due to the sizes marked for the openings, 3/4 and 7/8, which actually measure 1 3/8 and 1 1/2 which are marked 32 & 38 on the other side. Then in about the center of the side marked 32&38 is a triangle with an S inside. Did some searching on various sites for who might have used the triangle S as their logo/trademark but found nothing. Can anyone out there tell me more about this wrench, maker, approximate age, what it was used on/for? TIA for any help you can provide.

Newbie Charlie

Offline leg17

Re: LARGE Old wrench for tractor or implement?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 01:52:03 AM »
Looks fairly modern of Asian or European descent.

Offline amecks

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 07:25:41 AM »
32 and 38 are likely millimeters.  They correspond closely to the inch measurements you made.  The markings 3/4 and 7/8 are likely Whitworth which also correspond to the "across the flats" measurements.
Probably not an antique but a cool wrench regardless.
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline bill300d

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 07:53:03 AM »
I agree with all said. I would guess its of German lineage.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline cgw2also

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 08:52:07 AM »
 WOW! What a wealth of knowledge we have on this site. Many thanks to all who have/may chime in. I would never have guessed a European connection. I will be contacting the person who had it at the antique store to see if they can tell me where/how they might have obtained it, I definitely would like to know more about it. I suppose it could have made its way to the USA with someone immigrating.

Newbie Charlie

Offline leg17

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 07:24:59 AM »
.....I suppose it could have made its way to the USA with someone immigrating.
Newbie Charlie

Lots of imported machinery are (is?) supplied with tooling such as wrenches.
Probably came from Europe or Asia  with a machine.

Offline strik9

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 04:32:16 PM »
That design of wrench was made in Germany between 1890 and 1928 mostly as a kit wrench or hardware store stocks.

I have two marked Ehlis which was a hardware store in Spain 1895 to present actually but under s new name as a chain. 

They also were marked for Panhard  luxury csrs made in France in the 1920's.

Sadly the owner of the car has died but he did get me most of the (sparce) info I have.  The goal is to track them to the factory in Germany.  I currently have two known buyers and your mystery triangle S logo.  Any clue can help.
The only bad tool is the one that couldn't finish the job.  Ironicly it may be the best tool for the next job.

Offline cgw2also

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 02:27:22 PM »
 Late last year I finally found the following information in a book by JOHN WALTER    GERMAN CUTLERS, TOOLMAKERS and METALSMITHS
An Illustrated Register of Trademarks and Brand Names, 1871-1945
S, within a triangle (1897, no. 21277): C.G. Schönweiss,
Hagen i.W. Registry class: 9b. Style: roman.
 I no longer have the wrench as I sold it after finding the above information.

Charlie

Offline benedefin

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 03:06:13 PM »
Interesting, I've never seen such instruments on our market. Did you only buy one? I am interested in pictures

Offline benedefin

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 03:06:59 PM »
I've seen a lot of stuff like that too. I even saw it on sale. It seemed to be made of metal. Didn't even know it was German-made. If I'd known, I'd have bought one too; I love tools like that.
But actually, I use good tools from WA's best farm machinery dealership. I started using them when I worked in the auto shop with my cars. I really liked the quality and how to work with them. Before that, by the way, I had another set of tools, and I didn't like it, mainly because there was no handhold on the handle. And I got hurt several times because of that.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 02:39:23 AM by benedefin »

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 01:10:47 PM »
No idea who made it or what it's for, but it's sure purty.  I've purchased a few wrenches based solely on the purty factor.

Offline wrenchguy

• I like odd old stuff, especially mechanical.
    • Wrenchguys videos
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 03:39:54 PM »
Similar to this 1 i've had a few years.  Found out its soviet union made in 1980's,  for 1 of their military trucks at that time.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 07:52:57 PM by wrenchguy »