Author Topic: Tumbler upgrade  (Read 1003 times)

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Tumbler upgrade
« on: May 27, 2017, 02:30:45 PM »
Hello, I have been using vibratory tumblers for years, with different media, sand, walnut shell, corn cob, & plastic pyramids. The first 3 I use for polishing, not a high luster, but easier than hand cleaning, with fair results. I was using the plastic pyramids, dry, a lot of dust & rust residue remained on the metal, even worse if oily or greasy to begin with. I finally gave in to adding Simple Green, full strength, about 2 ounces, to the bowl of plastic pyramids. I am very happy with the rust removal, doesn't remove all of it, and leaves some of the age and character to the metal. The best parts are the shortened cleaning time, and easy cleanup afterwards. I,m not looking for clean and shiny, just trying to remove the scale, and pitting. The photos are before & after, 1 hour run time. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Re: Tumbler upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 02:58:51 PM »
Hello, I forgot to take a before photo of these before they went into the tumbler. These are New Old Stock Dies, found in the paper wrapping ,in a wet box. You all know what that means!!!! The surface rust was cleanly removed, and then a quick dunk in the WD-40 vat. Regards, Lou

Offline t115145

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 03:05:58 PM »
What is a good medium for polishing?

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 03:44:04 PM »
Hello, I'm no expert, but I have had good luck on steel parts, sockets, small wrenches,, with a medium/coarse grade of either walnut shell, or the corn cob. I buy from a company that sells to re-loaders, can't think of the name right now.There is a lot of info for these products on the web. Regards, Lou