Author Topic: a pile of abused chisels  (Read 1794 times)

Offline oldgoaly

a pile of abused chisels
« on: July 03, 2017, 09:37:33 AM »
Going thru stuff in the barn this is most of the wood chisels, many are still sharp, but all are rusted and as you can see in the pics all the handles have holes drilled in them. Probably none are worth making new handles and restoring.
One I want to grind a contour in and use it to make 6" of a odd one of a kind trim for a rare radio. I won't throw them away, but thinking there is some good metal for other projects.
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
Re: a pile of abused chisels
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 10:08:27 AM »
The third one from the bottom, is probably a Keen Kutter, although it has a non original handle.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 01:58:49 PM »
Just this morning, I came across a set of 4 much-abused, no-name chisels in sizes 1/2 to 1 1/4/ in the garage.  Someone had pounded them, likely with a hammer. 
I oiled the steel, buffed the rust--but kept the patina--trimmed 3/8" off the end, slimmed them down with a pipe cutter (no kidding), a chisel, and a rasp.  Then tight fitted a copper ring to give them some protection. 
Stripped the ugly yellow finish and replaced it with some darker stain.  Added a little oil finish and put a nice edge on them.
They are worth keeping now.
I bet with a little attention, some of yours are too.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 02:40:59 PM »
I've restored chisels in worse shape.

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 07:05:42 PM »
I would at least clean the bottom one -- looks like a Stanley; and as Mike mentioned, the possible Keen Kutter one.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 07:53:07 PM »
Whether or not it's worth it depends somewhat on how rich/starved your area is for chisels.  Where I live, the market is rich enough that I've stopped buying rusty standard chisels; I'll spend time only on rusty specialty stuff.