Author Topic: My "New" Peerless Universal Shaping Saw (Hacksaw)  (Read 14149 times)

Offline Twilight Fenrir

Re: My "New" Peerless Universal Shaping Saw (Hacksaw)
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2017, 10:36:25 AM »
  I was thinking that you wanted a quick fix for now.

yes, the smart move would be like you are doing, take out the bad !

back in my working days, we had a saying that we would throw at the foreman, who would sometimes want a temporary fix
  on a job, we would say;

"why is it we never find time to do a job right the first time, but we always find time to correct it the second time."

yes Twilight, do it right the 1st time, you will not regret it.

That IS the quick fix, lol. $5 later, and the copper tube is in, and appears to work fine for now. I'd still like to find a flexible like it had, as the copper won't hold up indefinitely to being adjusted, but it will get me by, and I have 2' of it, so I've got enough extra to redo it twice.

Newly discovered catastrophe, when the pump is running, it's squirting coolant out around its drive shaft. I haven't gotten to look at it closely yet, lost my flashlight, but my hoping that it was like an old plumbing valve with packing under a nut that just needs tightening didn't pan out... The nut just kept spinning. I'll have to find my flashlight and take a closer look to figure out what's going on...

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2017, 10:43:53 AM »
In the USA McMaster Carr carries flexible coolant hoses.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#stay-put-flexible-coolant-hose/=182eiwa

Offline p_toad

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2017, 10:30:07 PM »
If they have too much packing or it's not pushed in the threads may not even be engaged on the top of that valve.   I've got a selection of split leather packing and some graphite rope.   Let me know if you need some or both and size...

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2017, 08:53:49 AM »
In the USA McMaster Carr carries flexible coolant hoses.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#stay-put-flexible-coolant-hose/=182eiwa
Good grief, how did I ever survive without McMaster Carr before? XD Those are freaking exactly what I was looking for... I kept only turning up plastic ones... The MMC ones are nice and affordable, too. Thanks!

If they have too much packing or it's not pushed in the threads may not even be engaged on the top of that valve.   I've got a selection of split leather packing and some graphite rope.   Let me know if you need some or both and size...
I've got teflon and graphite rope at work for valve packing if I need it, but thanks :3

Once I got the flashlight back there, it quickly became apparent that the nut is counter-threaded... So it just kept spinning because I was loosening it, lol. I turned it the other way and it snugged up nice. I don't know if it's sealed yet, I lost too much coolant for the pump to operate, but I'm confident in what I'm doing with it again, so I'll fix it at my leisure. For now, I need to start prepping for my demonstration next weekend...

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2017, 11:25:28 AM »
McMaster Carr has just about everything, most times they aren't very cheap but if you need it quick they will ship overnight from any of their warehouses. I work on the road across the USA and I can't even remember how many times I needed something overnight and they came through for me. If I can't get it from our office McMaster is my next place to go other then Home Depot or Lowes.