Author Topic: My "New" Peerless Universal Shaping Saw (Hacksaw)  (Read 14280 times)

Offline Twilight Fenrir

Re: My "New" Peerless Universal Shaping Saw (Hacksaw)
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 10:57:41 AM »
Here we go... The green one in front seems to be much older than the other...

The Edwards #10 shear is gonna be my next project in a couple weeks :3

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2017, 11:43:34 AM »
I have the 133l, but the orfice is nat gas and I have lp, if it wasn't burried in the middle of the machine it would be soldered and redrilled, johnson wanted a 100+ bucks for lp orfice. I've made new upper brick https://www.facebook.com/pg/Sluggo-Son-Slow-Shoppe-187845251266156/photos/?tab=album&album_id=797177246999617

A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2017, 05:09:20 PM »
I have the 133l, but the orfice is nat gas and I have lp, if it wasn't burried in the middle of the machine it would be soldered and redrilled, johnson wanted a 100+ bucks for lp orfice. I've made new upper brick https://www.facebook.com/pg/Sluggo-Son-Slow-Shoppe-187845251266156/photos/?tab=album&album_id=797177246999617

I assume mine are set up for NG as well, but I haven't looked yet :P The guy said $40 and I said Yessir! lol They're gonna need some love to get back into service, they were sitting outside under tarps for ??? years, but everything seems to operate on them alright. Judging by the press, and the saw which were also outside, the guy knew how to store things well, and I expect to find these more or less workable.

Nice job making the bricks :D

What is that machine right in the front in your profile picture thing? Looks like an old C-frame bandsaw with an electric motor stuck onto the opening.... A planishing hammer?

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2017, 05:40:10 PM »
You are probably looking at the T3 Pullmax nibbler it's for working metal, shrinking, stretching, beading, joggling, it can louver with the right dies. Pretty rare machines, many more P-series machines, next to the T3 is a P13. They are fixed link machines meaning they don't throw the die it is attached to a scotch link.  Mine are for sheet metal max gauge is probably around 12 gauge steel. Pullmaxs are made in Sweden, some were made under contract in Brazil Franho is what they are named. If I sound like a barrel of useless info on them I might resemble that. I got my 1st in 1995 and have been helping spread the word since.

Offline p_toad

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 10:46:53 PM »
It's ALIVE!

Nicely done.   I'm going to have to get out those blades (if i can reach them).   The ones in that picture look a lot like them. :smiley:

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2017, 08:37:51 AM »
You are probably looking at the T3 Pullmax nibbler it's for working metal, shrinking, stretching, beading, joggling, it can louver with the right dies. Pretty rare machines, many more P-series machines, next to the T3 is a P13. They are fixed link machines meaning they don't throw the die it is attached to a scotch link.  Mine are for sheet metal max gauge is probably around 12 gauge steel. Pullmaxs are made in Sweden, some were made under contract in Brazil Franho is what they are named. If I sound like a barrel of useless info on them I might resemble that. I got my 1st in 1995 and have been helping spread the word since.
lol, does sound a bit like a barrel, but I asked, so thanks :3

Sounds good P_toad. If you find 'em and wanna part with 'em, I'm certainly interested. :3

I found the badge on my Johnson forge, and it says it's an 1174, which I can't seem to find anything about that particular one o.o I also can't find the badge that should be on it that specifies if it's NG or LPG...

The second forge, which I thought was an older Johnson forge, I'm starting to wonder if it's a home made forge someone made trying to copy the Johnson... Either that, or it is one of the very earliest Johnson forges ever made. It's very primitive, and the steel on it is ridiculous compared to the largely sheet metal construction of the confirmed Johnson.

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2017, 11:42:50 AM »
one on the right looks like the models they make now (and for many years) I got mine at the local hs. I knew the shop teacher / maintenance man. He  went psst and whispered this hasn't been bid on, this only has a 5$ bid. We got a tractor to help you load. I did end up spending 400$ but got so moch stuff! The tractor threw a rod loading the horizontal mill that had never run. so he call a friend of his to borrow a tractor and he was my neighbor. so instead of me making 5-10 trips with my car hauler, I made 2 and my neighbor made 1 with the big trailer he brought the tractor.
Here is a link to Johnson's forge page, they have manuals in pdf for free. The long time salesman and service tech Beryl Brown retired a couple of years ago. He was a wealth of knowledge and very helpful. I've relined a few of the soldering iron furnaces.
     http://www.johnsongas.com/industrial/frn-forge.asp

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2017, 04:34:30 PM »
Score! This just took a climb up my priorities list :P

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2017, 06:56:50 PM »
Cool!  the bricks can be cast from most castable refractory, the higher the temp rating the better it will hold up to the flame. As you may have noticed I use some 26 gauge steel to make the forms, coat it with wax. Not the fast way but make one a day in a week you have seven.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2017, 08:45:30 PM »
Well, my coolant came today, and the saw zipped through the rail in about 5 minutes, very happy :D

There is, however, a leak in my coolant line... The little flexible metal hose that lets me point the stream has a gap near its base, and it's spraying out erratically...

Any suggestions as to how I might repair or replace it?

Offline turnnut

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2017, 09:22:03 PM »
 a quick try would be to clean the area good and put JB Weld on it.

I have done this as a temp patch on a copper drain line, two years and not leaking

it should hold, then you can use it until you decide to change it..

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2017, 10:52:29 PM »
The "oldgoaly" quick fix that lasts for years and years!
I had a rotted cast iron sewer line running over a beer cooler condensing unit in the basement of a tavern. To keep the crap from shorting out the electrical controls I had to come up with a quick fix from stuff they had.  Bread bags/wrappers and electrical tape. That fix lasted more than 10 years till they gutted the place and moved the bathrooms. no duct tape!

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2017, 07:09:27 AM »
Haha, I don't like either of them those ideas in this instance... It'd be very difficult to get either to work where the break is...

An idea came to me while falling asleep... I'm gonna replace it with some 1/4" OD soft copper tubing. It may not hold up indefinitely to flexing, but it should serve me well enough for quite some time I think...

Offline turnnut

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2017, 09:01:19 AM »
  I was thinking that you wanted a quick fix for now.

yes, the smart move would be like you are doing, take out the bad !

back in my working days, we had a saying that we would throw at the foreman, who would sometimes want a temporary fix
  on a job, we would say;

"why is it we never find time to do a job right the first time, but we always find time to correct it the second time."

yes Twilight, do it right the 1st time, you will not regret it.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2017, 11:46:59 AM »
Antifreeze information:

The RV antifreeze is usually propylene glycol, factory mixed with water and a dye. We used to be able to put propylene glycol into fire sprinkler systems, except we didn't use the RV stuff.  For some reason it is real cheap and has a dye in it.  We used food grade or pharmaceutical grade. Propylene glycol is potable and is non-toxic. It is used in a lot of processed food.  It has a lower freeze point when combined with a certain percentage of water. It is the stuff used in building coolant systems, that type usually has a corrosion inhibitor added, 

My guess is that the nay-sayers who mention toxicity are talking about ethelyne glycol, or regular vehicle antifreeze. Thats the stuff we all know about, generally.

And because it is mixed with water, the cooling properties are great.  Used with a rust inhibitor it won't cause corrosion issues.

You dont need to necessarilly protect down to -40, just because it gets that cold. Time is needed to bring the coolant down to the ambient temperature. Big difference between gelling and freezing.

Other thoughts:
Would an automatic pond heater keep your coolant warm enough? Remember you need to protect the coolant line, not just the reservoir.

I've kept a product called "Texaco Sultex D" in my power machines for as long as I can remember.

I think it is some kind of mineral oil that I use in my 14" slab saw for cutting rocks. Never had any issues in over a decade.  You get 20ยบ colder up there than we do in balmy Denver.

Just some thoughts. 

Nice machinery, by the way. In many situations I prefer a power hacksaw to a bandsaw. Just set it and forget it. Slide up the stock to the next cut when you hesr the metal thunk after awhile.

Chilly