Author Topic: P.W.A. stamped tools question  (Read 2216 times)

Offline moparthug

P.W.A. stamped tools question
« on: June 10, 2017, 08:36:34 PM »
I just picked up a P.W.A. Plomb 2254 deep 7/8 socket. I see that P.W.A. stands for Pratt-Whitney Aircraft, and that other tool makers like Bonney and Crescent also made P.W.A. stamped tools. What I'm not finding is the year range for P.W.A. tools. And... is there any difference a standard 7/8 deep Plomb socket, and a P.W.A. stamped 7/8 deep Plomb socket?
Rogue River, OR.

Offline bill300d

Re: P.W.A. stamped tools question
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 08:50:11 AM »
This is what little I know about PWA tools. Like WF marked tools other than markings I'm don't think there is a difference between them except possibly the finish in some instances. PWA can span from pre WWII to current production, PWA with 5 digits after it is the most current, 4 digits seems to be sometime post WWII to early 60's/70's, 2-3 digits covers pre to post WWII
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 06:12:46 PM »
I have a pair of Bonney 3/8" rats model T35 just like those shown on AA.

http://alloy-artifacts.org/bonney-forge-tool-p3.html

The plain steel model has a BU Bonney date code, indicating 1946.  Its four number PWA code is 1394.
The other is in chrome, a FX code indicates 1943.  How they got the chrome in '43 is anybody's guess.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline t115145

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 07:22:43 PM »
That is an aviation spark plug socket.  Probably made between 1941 and the early 1950's.  Jets began to be phased in to the inventory in the late 1940's. I have a Bonney Igniter plug socket from that era.  I cant imagine  spark plug socket production continuing beyond the early 50's as there would have been tons of tools left over from WW II.