Author Topic: Prentice Brother's Lathe?  (Read 7886 times)

Offline Yadda

Re: Prentice Brother's Lathe?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 09:11:46 PM »
Cut some shims for leveling with your recently acquired saw.  :grin:
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 02:24:30 PM »
Now that I found a new photo hosting site, I can finally get back to posting about these things :P

So here's my lathe in its new home... It hasn't been leveled yet, but I've been putsing with it here and there. I turned a new arbor for my 1950s Craftsman Bandsaw (which you can see in the background of the 2nd picture) but otherwise I've just been experimenting, and playing with it for a few minutes here and there...

Some observations so far are, I really need to move the flat belt drive pulley further away, or make it adjustable somehow. They're just too close together, I can't change speed without stretching the belt out. The tool post really sucks... It just doesn't stay still when you put the tool to the piece, and it's a bear to get it adjusted just right. A quick change tool post is high on my priority list when I'm not poor anymore :P The slides for the vise are probably a little more worn than might be ideal, but doesn't seem to be overly bad. I think some fine adjustments will get me close enough when I feel like throwing a day at it to get it as perfect as I can.

I keep flipping back and forth between I'm screwed, or it's amazing :P And I need to figure that out before I invest in upgrades for it... It's most likely perfectly good enough for my purposes for the time being. I just need to learn how to use it a bit better, and figure out the tooling a bit better...

Offline bill300d

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 02:37:39 PM »
Turn that motor and transfer shaft upside down and mount to the ceiling. You'll get a bit of a line shaft look with a longer flat belt to help with changing speeds.
 And before I forget and not to be a pain but you should size your pics a little smaller.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:39:20 PM by bill300d »
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 06:46:28 PM »
Turn that motor and transfer shaft upside down and mount to the ceiling. You'll get a bit of a line shaft look with a longer flat belt to help with changing speeds.
 And before I forget and not to be a pain but you should size your pics a little smaller.
That's the plan... only problem is, I don't know if that's where it's gonna live long term :P I guess it wouldn't be a huge deal to relocate it again, though...

Holy crap, I didn't realize the pictures would come through that big! I guess photobucket used to resize them automatically for me... Wow my phone takes high-rez pictures, lol