Author Topic: Hartford Tool Co. Some kind of gauge?  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Grampz

Hartford Tool Co. Some kind of gauge?
« on: July 15, 2017, 03:42:17 PM »
Got this at a sale with a bunch of older tools. Wild guess, some kind of ID gauge? Marked "Hartford Tool Co HFD CT USA" The body has a split collet at both ends, one threaded and the other slip. Seems to be made for a range of about 3 1/2" to 4 1/2". Thanks for looking!

Grampz (new guy)

Never saw one of these but figured it out. the Perfect Pocket Oiler.

Online Bill Houghton

Re: Hartford Tool Co. Some kind of gauge?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 04:07:18 PM »
That does look like some kind of gauge for measuring inner diameters - perhaps something used in conjunction with a suitable micrometer, but cheaper than buying a separate inside micrometer (I have two inside mikes; have yet to use either, but, hey, they weren't expensive, one being free, when we cleaned out my uncle's garage).

And that Perfect Pocket Oiler - neat design, although if it leaked, I bet it would do a Perfect job of Oiling your Pocket.

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 08:56:12 PM »
I wonder if that first one is for measuring i.d. threads?
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline bleonard

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 01:06:06 AM »
The first tool looks to me like one used by millwrights and repairmen to check the where in a cylinder bore. The tool is adjusted with a ruler to the known bore size and inserted in the bore and rocked side to side. A measurement is taken of the side to side movement and trig. is used to calculate the bore size to the nearest thousand of an inch without the use of a micrometer. This process is described in an older machinery's handbook. But i can't remember which one or where. My two cents worth.
Bob
I like Starrett tools

Offline Grampz

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 10:44:21 AM »
That sounds probable. Thanks for the input!