Author Topic: Flea market at the Pageant of Steam  (Read 956 times)

Offline amecks

Flea market at the Pageant of Steam
« on: August 11, 2017, 08:43:18 PM »
I had a lot of fun at the Pageant of Steam in Canandaigua, NY to day, a huge festival of everything mechanical including steam traction engines.  I took a half day off work and this was the first time I ever went on a weekday.  It was still very busy but not as bad as a Saturday.  Spent most of my time in the flea market and came away with some neat stuff.

On the left are two plastic bags with 5 ceramic miniature animals -chipmunk,squirrel,rabbit,donkey,and a deer fawn.  These and the 5 cars are for our Christmas village display. (I posted pics of it last year, if you remember).  All $1 each.
Defiance 1299.  $1
Open end wrench that appears to be British BSF 1/4 and 5/16 - I haven't checked it yet.  It is marked 625 and a W in a diamond, and an oval with J.H.W. & CO. U.S.A.  Any idea of the maker?  $1
6LN Vise-Grip pliers - needs a new spring.
Diamond KC-18 hose spring clamp pliers.  Both for $6.
An unusual tap handle with four openings (but maybe only two sizes).  It unscrews to adjust and clamp.  Has a 1 stamped lengthwise and ELLIOT CORP. PAT. PEND.  -$1.
Everything else was free! (I saw two "free" tables and lots of $1 tables).  Two hex shaped blocks marked and threaded 1/4 and 5/16 - maybe stud pullers???
3 T handle tools, one for a slotted screw, one chrome thing - worn out inside, one hex wrench with two wrench sizes in the handle.
-edit- The funny slotted T handle tool is marked RANGER A.T. 160 (down arrow) PLOMB (down arrow).  What is it???
Spanner/wrench tool (I saw two of these today). No markings.
Gas cylinder wrench/bottle opener marked GILBERT.
And earplugs with container (handy) and a plumbing wire brush.
A nice half day out and only an hour from home.  Info on any of these items appreciated.
Al

Al
Jordan, NY

Offline EVILDR235

Re: Flea market at the Pageant of Steam
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 09:14:45 PM »
Contact Irwin about a replacement spring for the Vise Grips. I just got 4 for larger VG'S at no cost. I believe the Ranger / Plomb tool may be for working on a aircraft. Nice haul of goodies.

EvilDr235

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 09:44:25 PM »
The spanner/wrench resembles the stamped steel wrenches commonly used on the classic British 3-speed bicycles, which wrenches had all the necessary sizes for common maintenance.  Yours is simpler/fewer sizes.

Nice scores all in all.

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 11:51:16 AM »
We had a small store called "Auto-Home Discount" They had a spring sales display board that had the vise grip size spring on it. I told Henry to get me 20-25 of them on the next order. He added a little note to the board "fits visegrips" He told me he sold more vicegrip springs than the rest of the springs combined. If you have a good old time hdwe or junk store bet they have them or can get them. Oh the same spring fits the other off brands. I used to buy all the old visegrips for a 1$ or less, put a new spring on them and used them for welding clamps.
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 04:43:30 PM »
Rustcollector has been up there most of the week selling wrenches and rust in the flea market. He has a dealer made John Deere sign in his booth.

Offline t115145

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 06:24:10 PM »
Would you like to sell the "ranger" marked wrench?