Author Topic: OFF TOPIC- WHO MADE THIS VISE?  (Read 2464 times)

Offline cgw2also

OFF TOPIC- WHO MADE THIS VISE?
« on: August 03, 2017, 09:37:39 AM »
 The fellow that runs the local flea market gave me this vise about 3 weeks ago and I'm just getting around to doing something with it. It's marked U.S A. on one side and I suspect whatever was cast on the other side is covered with the huge amount of brass you see. Not a quality vise by any means, no replaceable jaw pads and opens to the back for starters. I'm cleaning it up mainly as a curiosity piece, whoever did the repair on it in my opinion wasted a lot of welding gas, brass rod, flux not to mention time in "fixing at it". Curious to know if anybody recognizes it and who made it. TIA for your help.

Newbie Charlie

Offline kwoswalt99

Re: OFF TOPIC- WHO MADE THIS VISE?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 09:56:48 AM »
L M & V co I think. Just because a vise opens to the rear doesn't mean it's low quality though, there are some very nice ones.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
Re: OFF TOPIC- WHO MADE THIS VISE?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 12:51:28 PM »
A lot of companies made vises like this, so it's a little hard to identify without som marks of some sort.
As kwoswalt99 pointed out there are many quality vises made with the rear moving jaw although, unfortunately, yours isn't one of them.

Look on eBay for Boley jewelers vise to find a very high quality moving rear jaw vise. There is also a Polish made vise with the moving rear jaw that is one of the highest quality vises I have ever had.

Both of the above moved in machined dovetails, with the Polish one having adjustable gibs.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools