Author Topic: WARD MASTER ratchet  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Northwoods

WARD MASTER ratchet
« on: August 31, 2017, 10:03:53 PM »
Couple years ago, I had a chance to score a compete Plomb pebble 52XX set in the box.  Included in the deal were about 1/3 of a 3/8" Wards Master ratchet set.  And so I felt compelled to try to fill it out. Had some luck but never found a suitable rat.  I know there are many available in 1/2", but not in 3/8".
Anyway, the 3/8" set led to parts of a 1/2" set.  I am sure you know the story.
Now, I came home today with an older--likely 30's pass through round head ratchet in 1/2".  I would call it a captured plug; it cannot be removed from the rat.  The only marking is this:  WARD MASTER.  It looks very much like this early Thorson rat pictured in AA except that mine does not have the unusual large neck. 

http://alloy-artifacts.org/Photos/tools/thorsen_34dr_79_ratchet_early_f_cropped_inset2.jpg

My question:  Does anyone know if Thorson made an early rat for Wards?  If not, do you know who did?

The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline 3baygarage

Re: WARD MASTER ratchet
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 05:47:08 PM »
I've know the Wards ratchet you have. It's difficult to answer your question though. Looks like the Thorsen somewhat. We know Wards tools and their later Powr Kraft were supplied by just about everyone (Duro/ Indestro, Wright, New Britain, Barcalo, Thorsen, etc.).

Your ratchet also looks like early Truth and OTC as well. It's hard to say who made what for whom. The real truth of the matter is since the beginning, the tool makers and brands have co-mingled with one another. They would supplement their line with a specific item made by someone else.

I've seen New Britain 3/4 ratchets that are identical to Truth (pear heads). Odd to see a NB that isn't recognizable as a NB. Now why would NB outsource? Or did they make Truth? This gets even more confusing looking at the old round head plug ratchets. It could be Truth made the early 3/4 ratchets for NB, even though NB is know to have produced for everyone later.

I don't know. Sorry to get off topic. Can you post a pic?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:49:12 PM by 3baygarage »