Author Topic: Is it Art?  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Is it Art?
« on: September 12, 2017, 08:59:58 PM »
"This one just might make Noel Hankamer ( Papaw ) not like the modern way of thinking. All those gators are nicely welded together and ruined for collectors forever. Not that they are big dollar wrenches anymore, but yet another waste of wrenches. As long as we all think we only need to pay $1 or 2 for wrenches, this will continue to happen. We need to keep the values up enough where it isn't worth while for these clowns to do this."  Dan Chopiak ( Nywrencher ) on his Facebook page- https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1795807220446767&set=gm.1467059976704223&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Is it Art?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 09:00:46 PM »
 It makes me sad to see such "art", but if he owned them, it is his perogative to do it. That doesn't make it any less of a loss. Even the most numerous alligator wrenches deserve better.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 10:53:18 PM »
Maybe I'm strange, weird, or out of touch, call it what you may,but there is no way I can consider that Art.

Offline p_toad

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 11:09:21 PM »
ugh.   :angry:

Offline amecks

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 06:40:18 AM »
There is such a thing as BAD art and this is a good example.  Beyond the low level of creativity, the welding is very poorly done.  Possibly a high school class  work.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline turnnut

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:05:24 AM »
   what a subject,   if a tool is broken, I think it is ok to make another use, same with garden tools.

vintage auto, I hate to see good vintage, not common auto's turned into hot rod, even though I like hot rods.

same with very old buildings in great condition torn down to build stores or offices.

but like Noel stated, it is theirs to do what their mind tells them to do.

NOTE; I am not a Saint !   I put a implement wrench in cement near to my garage door, I had 4 of the same no name wrenches.
    and on the other end, I have a cylinder. head from a old Ford flathead engine, it still has the rusty coil mounted on it, it is not in
    cement, just white pebble stones around it.  I still have the other head with the oil filter mounted on it. late 40's - early 50's 

Offline Ken W.

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 11:09:38 AM »
Yeah , that's bad art. I got suckered into going to our local art museum last year. There was this "art sculpture " there that was made from old rail road spikes that was gas welded. The city folks were all amazed at this piece. All I saw was bad sloppy welds and rusty spikes. I guess I'm not too artsy.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 03:31:17 PM »
After seeing this I cried for hours. What a waste of history.

XXXXXX

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 07:23:12 PM »
It makes me sad to see such "art", but if he owned them, it is his perogative to do it. That doesn't make it any less of a loss. Even the most numerous alligator wrenches deserve better.

I agree 100% papaw.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline JohnD

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 10:48:04 AM »
I saw somewhere recently a group of several similar wrenches welded to look like like baby bird mouths in a nest, begging for food, with another tool above representing the mother birds beak dropping a bug to the hungry little ones. The resemblance was amazing and I did see it as art.
This one doesn't work for me. I don't see alligators, just a bunch of poorly welded wrenches. Why half up and half down? Big mistake to use the broken jaw wrench too!

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 07:44:34 AM »
I thought I would chime in from a dealers perspective.  I used to worry about what people did after they bought stuff, but now I figure that it is theirs and they can do what they want with it.  The main problem I have in recent years is selling the lower end tools.  As time goes on and fewer people collect tools, the ceiling on the lower end tools gets higher and higher.  People mainly by the better stuff now.  Collections are getting full and there are very few young collectors. 

I have dozens of wrenches like those in the art piece shown above, and I cannot get 5 to 10.00 each at shows.  I have tried some lots of 5.00 wrenches on Ebay and only some of those sell.  I have offered lots on here and gotten no interest.  There is just too much supply and not enough demand.

For the past several years, all of my very low end (<3.00) stuff goes to an artist who welds them into life-size animals.  I used to be able to sell thousands of 1 to 3.00 tools at flea markets and shows.  The last time I tried selling tools in that range, the sales were so low that it was not worth bringing them.

There is also the economy of where you live and sell.  In my area, a lot of people buy guns, beer, cigarettes, and not much else.

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 10:43:18 AM »
Probably the best use for them tbh.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 11:46:47 AM »
In my area, a lot of people buy guns, beer, cigarettes, and not much else.
And it's so hard to weld beer.  Or cigarettes.  Not much art potential there.