Author Topic: My grandfather's hand drill  (Read 3160 times)

Offline Ceelbe08

My grandfather's hand drill
« on: October 10, 2017, 11:04:05 AM »
I guess I need some instruction about how to use my grandfather's hand drill.
My grandfather passed away several years ago and I found some old hand drills in his shop. I did not find anything that looks like the chuck in images that came up on Google. I saved the hand drills because they looked like they could be useful in some situations.
Anyway yesterday I was attempting to use. Played around with it a bit to get the idea, and it looked like I could hand tighten the drill bit it. So got the bit in, hand tightened, got the small project done. But now I cannot figure out how to get the drill bit back out. Without the check key is there anyway to get that bit back out?

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: My grandfather's hand drill
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 11:36:24 AM »
From your description, they sound like "egg beater" drills, like this:
If so, tuck the rear handle in the crook of your arm.  Study how the crank handle turns the chuck, and position it so that it's sticking out sideways, on the side such that pulling down will cause the chuck to run in reverse.  With the hand on the arm where the drill is cradled, grip the chuck, holding it firmly.  Check that you don't have clothing or skin where they could get caught in the teeth of the gears.  With your free hand, grip the crank handle and pull down (strong, steady pull is best).

If the chuck slips in your hand, and if you've got one of those plastic sheets that people use to grab onto jar lids to open them, or a piece of the abrasive-covered window screen used in drywall sanders, or a thin Scotch-brite pad, or any such a thing that will increase your grip on the chuck, use it.

In future, if the drill bit slips in the chuck in use, you can use the same approach in reverse to tighten the chuck.

If you have a brace, like this,

you just grip the chuck and pull on the handle.

If you have a push drill, some version of this,

the collar on the chuck will either turn (right to tight, left to loose) or pull forward or back to release the bit.

But, if none of this describes your situation, pictures would help.

Offline p_toad

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 05:35:39 PM »
Just as an addendum to what was already said:   if the drill hasn't been used for a while, the jaws may not want to automatically slip back in the chuck and let the drill bit come loose.  If you have already loosened the chuck and the drill bit won't move, you can try a nylon or plastic faced (small) hammer and gently tap the ends of the drill jaws next to the drill bit and they should drop back into the chuck.

Don't unscrew the chuck all the way off.   That may present a whole 'nother set of problems; as will using any type of metal hammer on the jaws.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 09:18:04 PM »
  A LITTLE PENETRANT MAY ALSO HELP.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 09:12:56 AM »
  A LITTLE PENETRANT MAY ALSO HELP.
Although you have to be careful, because the penetrant will also lube the edges of the chuck jaws that contact the bit; and you don't want those slick for the next bit.

Offline Ceelbe08

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 08:37:48 AM »
Thank you for the replies.

The drill is the brace type pictured above. I tried to add a pic to my original post but pic size was too large and I don't have a clue how to resize.

I guess I will have to try and use a penetrate, if all that is needed is a good strong yank, I may not be strong enough. Probably should have oiled it or something before hand as it has probably not been used for close to 10 years.

I have both 3 in 1 oil and wd40 on hand. Is there one you recommend over the other? Or do I need something else entirely?

Again thanks all for the help and advise.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 09:37:35 AM »
WD-40.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 08:50:21 PM »
 my choice is Gibbs

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 09:23:30 PM »
I use Kroil. WD 40 will work, but the lubricant doesn't last long.
I think that if you were able to use it, you should be able to turn the chuck and remove it. Maybe find someone with more arm strength can help.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Ceelbe08

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 05:45:02 AM »
Finding someone with more arm strength is next on my list  :)

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 02:25:00 PM »
Go to your local hardware store and look at the strap wrenches; think about whether you can afford to buy one.  If so, put that on the chuck.  Clamp the swing of the brace in something: put a piece of wood on top of it and put your body weight on it, for instance.  Pull in the correct direction.  If you hold the brace with the bit pointing up, the chuck should turn left to right; putting it another way, if you hold the brace so the bit's pointing at your eyeball, the chuck should loosen counterclockwise.

Offline Ceelbe08

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 06:35:39 PM »
You all are so great! I am waiting for my brother in law to stop over (it is very irregular so who knows when) as he is probably the only person I know that would have the strength. I'll have to ask him if he has a strap wrench as mentioned since that thing seems almost stuck to me.

Offline crankshaftdan II

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 11:41:24 AM »
If not in a rush and have a can/jar and some ATF Automatic trans. fluid give it a soak for a week, rinse off in simple green or mineral spirits and than try to break it loose.   Just my 2 cents worth.
E-mail address  dhdslimbow@yahoo.com
Looking for USA made ratchets-all sizes-drives and lengths  also S-K SuperKrome wrenches ditto.  Like to trade vs buy run it past me-nothing is cut in stone!

Offline turnnut

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 09:02:18 PM »
 if you soak it, every now and then tap it lightly with a brass or lead hammer.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 09:27:52 PM »
if you soak it, every now and then tap it lightly with a brass or lead hammer.
Or, if you don't own one of those, a block of hardwood.