Author Topic: Happy Belated Veterans Day  (Read 996 times)

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
Happy Belated Veterans Day
« on: November 12, 2017, 08:33:37 AM »
Happy belated veterans day to all of those that have served our great country over the years and a salute to all of those that have given the ultimate sacrifice of giving their lives for our country.

Not sure happy is the correct term but you guys & girls know what I mean.

I'll also just leave it with those 2 genders for now.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Happy Belated Veterans Day
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 09:27:30 AM »
At our Fall Festival of the Alvin Area Art Society yesterday, I had a donation box and Buddy Poppies for donations to The Veterans Assistance Program. Any donation got you a Poppy, and wearing that Poppy to our local museum got you a free admission. The museum is currently running an exhibit about WWI, Alvin's contributions, and our citizens who served in the Great War.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »
At our Fall Festival of the Alvin Area Art Society yesterday, I had a donation box and Buddy Poppies for donations to The Veterans Assistance Program. Any donation got you a Poppy, and wearing that Poppy to our local museum got you a free admission. The museum is currently running an exhibit about WWI, Alvin's contributions, and our citizens who served in the Great War.

WWI is a textbook example of a war that needn't have been.  Without WWI, caused millions of casualties; it caused Hitler and WWII, created the Soviet Union and the entire cold war and all its offspring (think Red China, North Korea, Cuba, Vietnam).  It shaped every part of the world we live in today.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 03:32:32 PM »
Papaw, most boards come down pretty strong on political posts; I hope this one will be understood as trying to avoid getting political.

The stupidity of the governments in Europe who allowed their political intrigues to draw them into World War I does not negate the sacrifices made by soldiers - ours and those of many other countries - once the war started.  It's a shame that they had to make those sacrifices; and, yes, the aftermath of the war created many later problems, which led to, among other events, World War II.  Any number of more sensible decisions would have allowed young men to live out productive lives, instead of lying under headstones.  I hope we can honor their sacrifices, and our losses, while praying that future crises are met by sensible decisions.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 03:39:23 PM »
No political drama needs to stem from these posts. My report was just a report of what I was doing yesterday.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/