Author Topic: 6" Crescent Adjustable marking "H633" and repair question  (Read 173 times)

Offline RubiconJK

6" Crescent Adjustable marking "H633" and repair question
« on: December 06, 2017, 04:13:07 PM »
Hello, I have a bad habit of bringing old 6" adjustable wrenches home with me from the flea markets!  Last weekend I bought an old 6" Crescent that has the mark "H633" on the handle just under the knurl.  I've not seen that particular mark on other Crescents and wondered if anyone knew the significance of this mark?  The mark is raised in the wrench forging and is a consistant size/font with the rest of the lettering on the wrench.

Also, the teeth on the jaw of this wrench are stripped and I'm having a harder than normal time of removing the pin screw.  Any suggestions for methods you guys use for removing stubborn pin screws from these old wrenches?

Thanks!

Online Northwoods

Re: 6" Crescent Adjustable marking "H633" and repair question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 04:18:44 PM »
What will you do if you are able to remove the moving jaw?  Or is it the wheel that is damaged?
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline RubiconJK

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 04:26:13 PM »
The knurl (wheel) is fine.  The moving jaw needs replaced.  I have other donor wrenches and parts but have to remove the stubborn pin screw first.

Offline lptools

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 04:46:40 PM »
Hello, After a good soaking in PB Blaster, or the like, I try to turn the screw in as far as possible. Then I look for burrs that would hinder removing the pin. The burrs are usually what get in the way, (plus rust), often times the sides of the heads served as an FAT (fine adjustment tool). Regards, Lou

Offline RubiconJK

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:47:30 PM »
Thanks Lou! I understand the FAT usage!  I'll give the PB Blaster soak a try.

Offline RubiconJK

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 07:54:37 PM »
Here is a pic of the H633 marking.  Any ideas what this marking might be or has anyone else ever seen this?

Offline RubiconJK

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 11:22:26 AM »
On the "H633" marking, was told by someone (Former Crescent Jamestown employee) that this may be a date code.  H being the 8th month, 63 year and 3rd day.  Can't confirm this is the case, but makes as much sense as anything else I've learned in researching this.  Also strange that this code seems to be uncommon for other Crescent branded adjustables of the same era.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 01:49:23 PM by RubiconJK »

Offline RubiconJK

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 08:49:39 PM »
After a good long soak, the stubborn pin screw is out!  I was hoping I could file out the teeth on the jaw and use it again, but it is too far gone.  I will have to get one of my donor wrenches out and replace the jaw.

Online Northwoods

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 09:24:46 PM »
Well done. Those pins are hard to deal with. Exactly how did you get it out?
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #9 on: Today at 06:18:17 AM »
Some are screw type pins that are actually threaded, many of the newer ones are just pins that are pressed into a blind hole and would have to be drilled out.

Offline RubiconJK

« Reply #10 on: Today at 06:52:27 PM »
Basically let it soak for a couple days.  Made sure there were no burrs blocking the screw pin from coming out and then began working the screw back and forth anytime I was out in the shop doing something else.  Once it started moving a bit, I hit it with WD40 and gradually after repeating this process it finally came out.  For as many of these as I've taken apart, this was one of the more stubborn.  One of the tricky things with getting the screw loose was having a screw driver that is small enough to fit the screw, but that won't deform (twist) while turning.  I finally wound up using an old flat head bit and grinding it down so that it would just fit into the groove of the screw.  I could take it out of the bit driver handle and also peck at it with the hammer during this process.