Author Topic: Some kind of a clamp or gripping tool  (Read 1993 times)

Offline amecks

Some kind of a clamp or gripping tool
« on: December 10, 2017, 05:36:14 PM »
Found this forgotten what's-it upstairs in the garage today.  There are no markings - at least not yet.  I'll clean it tomorrrow lightly to look for any stampings.  The serrations in the jaws have a helical pattern and the is that on "tooth" that sticks out on one side.  The background grid markings are one inch.

Al
Jordan, NY

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Re: Some kind of a clamp or gripping tool
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 05:51:55 PM »
Hello, Al. My first thought is jar opener, but maybe automotive? Oil Filter Wrench/ Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Yadda

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 06:06:38 PM »
The protrusion seems to indicate it probably isn't for jars?  Maybe a special fitting wrench?
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Ken W.

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 06:12:06 PM »
I also first thought jar opener.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 06:14:56 PM »
Looks to be about 3"ID so I'd lean towards some type of filter wrench.

Offline amecks

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 09:43:22 AM »
Cleaned it with a wire brush - it looks nicer - but not a maker's mark anywhere.  There is a overall corrosion but not so bad as to hide a stamping.  I looked with a loupe (magnifying glass).

Is there any reason one would want to punch a whole in a filter while removing it?  Maybe the tooth punched a whole to drain the filter before removal.  I know when I take oil filters off it can be messy.  Maybe I will start punching holes in them - or actually use this tool.
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline amecks

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »
I just went to DATAMP and looked thru all 113 jar opener patents.  It seems a popular feature was a "finger" that rested on top of the lid to keep the jaws aligned on the right part of the cap.  That could be the reason for the toothlike object on my device.
http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?number=292710&typeCode=0
Of all the openers this one is so very close.  Note how the central rib is formed as on my wrench.  The patent includes linings of "sheet-rubber, rubber cloth, or leather" however this tool has serrated teeth.  Also the patent has a can-opener and no evidence here of anything like that.  DATAMP says "not known to have been produced".
The 1884 patent was to Alexander Van Slyke of Fort Plain NY, about 2 hours from here on the Thruway.  While I do not remember where I got this tool I do know I never purchased it.  It just came into my possession somehow.  A distinct possibility is that it may have been in the basement of the old house #1 Rose St in Jordan - built about 1900.  In the basement of the house was a corner pantry filled with canning jars.  Many jars still filled with their contents, having been jarred in 1946 - pickles, pears, corn relish and other stuff.  I can't specifically remember but I might have found it in that pantry.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 09:14:07 PM »
Al,
Having been the "guilty party" putting most of those jar opener patents into DATAMP, my guess is the tool is a jar opener -- some of them were over-built for the intended purpose.  Get a little pitting in the canning jar glass & a little "boil-over" between the lid and the threads on the jar & you have a lot of friction to overcome.  Especially with those "zinc" caps that had a glass lid up inside, but the seal was a rubber ring between the rim of the cap & a shoulder on the jar.

Regards, Stan Schulz

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 07:22:22 PM »
"The protrusion seems to indicate it probably isn't for jars?  Maybe a special fitting wrench?"

Maybe for a hose coupling? Fire/ Dairy/Milk Tank??????????
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline bill300d

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 10:49:57 PM »
That nub just might be there to keep from getting too low on the lid that you catch the shoulder of the jar and break it. That how I see it.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline amecks

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 07:15:23 AM »
Right, Bill.  After looking at the patent pictures of 113 jar openers, the number of openers that had similar tabs convinced me that this was indeed a jar opener.  I feel like this item must be related to the Van Slyke patent somehow.  It is eerily similar - except for the can opener attachment, which, in the patent he describes as one device among other devices that could be attached.  It could also be left off.  The patent describes rubber or leather inserts.  Maybe they proved to be unnecessary and the designer went with the cast serrated ribs.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline bill300d

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 07:30:49 AM »
That patent is so close that i would think that is the one amecks. Its not unusual that the end product doesn't look exactly like the patent illustration. You'll probably never know for sure.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline crankshaftdan II

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 01:38:47 PM »
The protrusion might have been to keep the unit on top of the lid as previously stated and also once opened you might still have a vacuum effect to deal with from the inside seal of the cap-thus this flange was used to break the final seal??  Just a WAG on my part as I can't remember for sure how we opened them back then!!!
E-mail address  dhdslimbow@yahoo.com
Looking for USA made ratchets-all sizes-drives and lengths  also S-K SuperKrome wrenches ditto.  Like to trade vs buy run it past me-nothing is cut in stone!

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 10:31:48 PM »
....[snip] ...  to break the final seal??  Just a WAG on my part as I can't remember for sure how we opened them back then!!!
To break the seal, mom used to pull on the little tab on the rubber ring with a pliers (worked until the rubber got stiff from re-use & the tab broke off).

Offline amecks

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 06:43:56 AM »
Good point crankshaftdan,  The tab is wedge shaped so the point would work as a pry for the lid.
Thanks
Al
Al
Jordan, NY