Author Topic: Proto 7176P extension with odd socket  (Read 2437 times)

Offline RubiconJK

Proto 7176P extension with odd socket
« on: January 07, 2018, 09:55:39 AM »
I'm hoping this will be familiar with some of you here as I've not seen one before.  Yesterday at the flea market I found a 6" Proto Professional 7176P 3/8 impact drive extension that has an odd unmarked socket attached.  The socket is 6 pt and looks to be about 7/8 or 15/16 size.
 While the socket will "wiggle" on the extension, it doesn't seem to want to come off!  There is no sign of welding or modifications to permanently fix the socket on the ext.  Since the flea market is in relatively close proximity to a local AF base, and with the color of the tool, I'm wondering if it has a military application?  I've also been told that it could be a "torque stick" which among other things is used on wheel lug nuts and apparently has a pre-set torque limit.  But seems to me 3/8 would be too light for lug nut applications.  Any thoughts on what this is and also any suggestions for how the socket is removed? 

Offline bill300d

Re: Proto 7176P extension with odd socket
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 10:10:50 AM »
7176P is a normal 6" power extension normally used in manufacturing. power type sockets accessories usually have pins instead of balls to retain the socket. You should be able to release that socket by pressing the pin in the hole on the side of the socket while pulling off.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline RubiconJK

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 10:44:39 AM »
Thanks for the reply Bill.  On this particular socket there is no hole on the side.  The only thing of note on the socket is what you might see in the picture showing the bottom of the socket next to the ext.  Otherwise there are no other markings, holes or anything else on the socket.

Offline bill300d

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 11:47:37 AM »
If that's the case then the ball must be rusted/stuck. I would put your personal flavor of penetrating oil on it and let it sit overnight. The next morning put the extension part in a vise and try to tap the socket off.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 07:49:45 PM »
 like Bill300 said, penetrant,

the way I would try, is rest the socket on top of the vise with the extension hanging down, spray penetrant into socket,
   the next day give the extension a slight tap  with a flat punch or old bolt.

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 06:33:49 AM »
If you look at his last picture to me it looks like the socket is swagged onto the extension.

Offline RubiconJK

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 07:52:45 AM »
If you look at his last picture to me it looks like the socket is swagged onto the extension.

Lewill2 it does seem to be fastened onto the extension in an unusual way as shown in the last picture.  There is no sign of rust anywhere on this tool so I have no reason to believe that the problem is a rusty detent ball.  When you say "swagged onto the extension" what do you mean?  Thanks.

Offline bill300d

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 09:52:25 AM »
I see what you mean Lewill2.
RubiconJK could you possibly take a better pic of the socket where the extension enters it.

Offline thiggy

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 04:16:56 PM »
The term is "swedged".  It means being struck with a punch-like tool, upsetting the metal and permanently attaching the socket to the extension.

Offline leg17

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 06:14:03 PM »
Perhaps the word in this case is 'staked'.

Offline RubiconJK

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 08:11:43 PM »
RubiconJK could you possibly take a better pic of the socket where the extension enters it.
Yes, I'll take another pic tomorrow and post.  Thanks.

Offline RubiconJK

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 08:22:03 PM »
I'll still try to retake another photo tomorrow, but until then, here is a larger version of the prev pic.  I might note that the swedging or staked part (as it has been called) of the socket is just what you see here. This isn't evident at any other place on the socket as you go all the way around the bottom of it.

Offline bill300d

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 09:04:47 PM »
That looks like blobs of weld that were ground off. At the one spot on the outer circumference that there is no weld I think I see a seam.  Could it be a washer that holds the socket on?

Offline RubiconJK

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 12:31:29 PM »
That looks like blobs of weld that were ground off. At the one spot on the outer circumference that there is no weld I think I see a seam.  Could it be a washer that holds the socket on?
Attached are a couple more pics.

Offline RubiconJK

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 12:57:19 PM »
One more pic of inside of socket.  Beginning to think Bill may have been on to something when mentioning the welded washers.  By looking closely it appears that the socket does indeed have a flat washer on the inside which has been square punched to accept the 3/8 drive ext.  I can just see the remains of the round hole in the corners of square punched area.  It is 1/2" from where you can see the interior washer to where the extension enters the socket. On the exterior of the socket the 1/2" long space can be seen as the bottom (3/8 drive end) of the socket to the spot where the second taper of the socket begins.  That said (and assuming the welded washer theory is correct) they must have reamed out the drive end of the socket and stacked square stamped washers into the hole, welded them in and ground down the slag on the drive end.  Obvious question then is "why"?  Also why is there not any markings at all on the socket?  Might they have damaged the drive end of the socket and this was a way of repairing?  Seems like a replacement socket would have been much easier and probably cheaper.  Must be a reason, but could remain a mystery?!