Author Topic: 1890's bicycle tools  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
1890's bicycle tools
« on: January 14, 2018, 05:40:17 PM »
A couple of combination tools from the 1890's. They are both pretty small/light duty, so I suspect they were intended for use on bicycles. Both have an adjustable alligator wrench between the handles, and a set of spoke pliers on the other end. Both have a screwdriver blade at the end of one handle, but it takes on a different form in each tool.

On top is a Ryder's Combination Tool, from Nov 10, 1896 (No pun intended, as the inventor's name was Josiah F. Ryder)

On bottom is a variation of Barden's patent from 1891, made by Henry F. Jenks Co. of Pawtucket R.I.
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: 1890's bicycle tools
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 06:15:46 PM »
Very cool !
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Yadda

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 12:23:38 AM »
Too cool!   Combo pliers, alligator wrench and screwdriver. That combo has never grown old!
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 05:57:45 AM »
I first saw the top one at the MVWC auction last fall, I have one of the bottom ones or one similar. I always thought the openings in the handle were for holding taps?

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 06:23:35 PM »
I first saw the top one at the MVWC auction last fall, I have one of the bottom ones or one similar. I always thought the openings in the handle were for holding taps?

Yup, that is indeed the same wrench. I believe it was previously owned by Dan Gaier, who was a host for the fall MVWC meeting. Sure wish I could have made it to that meet in person, but at least I was able to pick up a few tools via absentee bidding.

As regards the square holes, I was wondering about them too. Nowadays only taps and sometimes reamers have square drive shanks. But back then might they have intended it to be used on square nuts? I don't know. 

Offline turnnut

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 07:53:41 PM »
 with the shape of the bottom wrench inside, it looks like it could be used on square & hex nuts

Offline bill300d

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 08:38:39 PM »
I was thinking it was for spoke nipples since Bob thought that the wrenches were for bicycles.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 05:38:55 AM »
I may have cost you a few bucks on the top one. It is really nice with the compound action on the jaw. As for the square openings in the other one it would awkward to use as a square nut wrench or a nipple wrench with the openings in the middle of the tool. Tiny square head set screws maybe? I still lean towards taps.

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 12:55:16 PM »
Yah, they could very well be for taps. The patent text doesn't help any, as the wrench in the patent does not even have the square holes feature. But regardless of what they are for, it doesn't seem like they would work very well. As soon as the tap (or nut, or whatever) started to get tight, the handles start to spread apart, and the engagement is lost. :/

Offline turnnut

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 07:49:29 PM »
 I would think that the opening on the far right of the wrench would work on the spoke nipples

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 10:52:06 AM »
Definitely nice pieces!
Ratchet Guru

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 04:25:51 PM »
Nice tools, I always enjoy your posts!!!!!!!!
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society