Author Topic: Konker Battery Pliers  (Read 4505 times)

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
Re: Konker Battery Pliers
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 11:19:46 AM »
Ad from 1928 Beckley-Ralston catalog on pg. 11 of the June 2009 MVWC Newsletter : " terminal remover - terminal cleaner - post scraper - battery carrier - hammer - two screw drivers - four wrenches "  Trade name used by MARION MFG. CORP, MARION OH.

Boy that sure sounds like it, thanks Stan!
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 12:18:31 PM »
Here's an Indestro battery clamp lifter that I think is along the same lines as the OP's plier-tool.
Ratchet Guru

Offline turnnut

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 07:57:05 PM »
 that's one that I havn't seen before.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 08:09:57 AM »
Auto batteries in the 20s had two finger holes cast into each end of the case, standing proud, 1.5-2 inches above the case.   These hooks would have fit nicely into them to lift, as per the photo. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline bill300d

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 10:29:14 AM »
You mean like this John? I don't think I've seen one with the ears like that , at least that I can remember.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 11:04:45 PM »
I have seen one case outside a magazine.  Should have picked it up, was laying in an iron pile, hard rubber.  They used tar to seal over the top of the cells.  This one was long since empty. 

Offline ela

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2018, 03:39:54 PM »
I have seen many a strange looking tools never one like this one. I do see where each part has its own function.
Awesome tool,

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2018, 09:09:36 PM »
...but it seems to me that the case would be bolted down at the bottom

I think the battery being bolted down at the bottom is a fairly modern thing.
Yep.  Back when I was a gas pump jockey in the 60s - we refilled the gas pumps by going out back and milking the dinosaur herd - pretty well all batteries were held down by brackets that sat atop the batteries, held down by long bolts that went into the base of the battery tray.  Two common patterns, as I recall: a bracket that surrounded the battery top (you had to be careful not to let the hot cable touch it) and one that went across the battery about in the middle.  The first kind was more or less universal for six-volt batteries, because six-volt batteries had a cap for refilling the electrolyte in the center of the top; the second kind was more flexible as to battery size.  Going back to the first kind, it wasn't uncommon to wind up with a top clamp that was larger than the battery, because the right size was out of stock when you had to replace one; for obvious reasons, you couldn't have one that was smaller than the battery.

They were easier to remove/install than some of the modern bottom-mounted clamps.  On our newer Volvo (2008), I needed a spring removal tool to remove and reinstall the clamp.  Volvo puts the battery in a plastic box, and thoughtfully provides a very long clamping bolt, but they seem to think mechanics have eight-inch-long fingers the dimensions of a feeler gauge for reaching the actual clamp.  And they were also easier to field engineer/modify, when you couldn't get the right kind.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2018, 08:52:06 AM »
 and then there were the automobiles that had the battery under the drivers seat.  back in the early 50's, I had a 1937  Graham, and
  one day I had a hot seat with smoke, I pulled over and removed the seat, there was a broken seat spring that was touching the battery.

I made a wood cover for the opening.  those were the days when sometimes we would bring the battery in the house at night on very
  cold nights. auto's have come a long ways.   

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2018, 04:33:19 PM »
and then there were the automobiles that had the battery under the drivers seat.  back in the early 50's, I had a 1937 Graham, and one day I had a hot seat with smoke, I pulled over and removed the seat, there was a broken seat spring that was touching the battery.
That was a problem at times with the old VW bugs, too, which kept the battery under the back seat.  As I remember it now, they were issued with a factory cover over everything, but the cover didn't always survive the first battery change.  The buses were safer, but the battery was off to one side of the engine compartment, and you couldn't add electrolyte/water without a special low-clearance battery-water bottle, or a turkey baster and a mirror.  Or removing the battery, which was a pain.

And then we have the Triumph TR2 (and maybe TR3, can't recall), on which the two six-volt batteries, connected in series to make a 12-volt system, were one on each side of the driveshaft.  The cable went over the driveshaft, with a sheet metal shroud to keep it from rubbing; but if the u-joints cut loose, the driveshaft could beat the !@$%$&^ out of the batteries.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 04:35:16 PM by Bill Houghton »

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2018, 05:59:02 PM »
I had an MGA and the battery was under the rear floorboard where you could't see the Lucas Smoke escaping !

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline p_toad

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2018, 10:20:53 PM »
Ha ha...   love the batteries.   Years ago a friend had a Karmen Ghia and the battery was just loose in the trunk and i was out tooling around getting some practice on a stick since i hadn't driven one in a while.   Sudden stop pulled the battery loose on the one side and i couldn't get started again (well, not at first). :tongue:

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2018, 11:02:50 AM »
Ha ha...   love the batteries.   Years ago a friend had a Karmen Ghia and the battery was just loose in the trunk and i was out tooling around getting some practice on a stick since i hadn't driven one in a while.   Sudden stop pulled the battery loose on the one side and i couldn't get started again (well, not at first). :tongue:
There was, originally, a hold-down on those.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2018, 04:15:56 PM »
Just found out Epstein has scans of old tool catalogs they have lying around. Was looking through their 1966 Herbrand catalog, and came across a "Battery lifter and scraper" plier that looks very close to the OP's tool. And they're claiming it's a design exclusive to them. Worth a look-see.

https://archive.org/stream/Herbrand1966ToolCatalog/herbrand1966catalog#page/n33/mode/2up
Ratchet Guru

Offline Nasutushenri

• Bussum, The Netherlands
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2018, 04:17:53 AM »
Bonneyman, that's this one, bought 40 years ago on the Amsterdam flea market.

Regards,
Henri

Herbrand and New Britain Pliers, Made in U.S.A. by Henri Nasutus, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 04:21:11 AM by Nasutushenri »
Do not mind my bad English.
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/100761653@N07/