Author Topic: Two wrenches - Gearbox Top Nut & Lectrolite  (Read 1670 times)

Offline amecks

Two wrenches - Gearbox Top Nut & Lectrolite
« on: September 08, 2017, 06:51:31 PM »
I found these at the Alexander Steam Show today.  What can you tell me about the Gearbox Top Nut wrench?  I'm posting the starter manifold wrench because it is a Lectrolite - Defiance O., and we were just discussing various Lectrolite tools.

Those are the only markings on the gearbox wrench.  Appears to be 1" openings.
Thanks
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline amecks

Re: Two wrenches - Gearbox Top Nut & Lectrolite
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 08:12:25 PM »
Hi.  No one knows what the Gear Box Top Nut wrench is for and who made it?
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 12:17:58 PM »
Just speculating, but could it have been used for a nut retaining the shifter lever on an old automotive transmission?

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 12:39:08 PM »
The only thing I found was for helicopters, and they are made a little bit different.
http://www.helicopterworkaids.com/bell-407.html

Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 02:12:56 PM »
That site's got some pretty interesting tools.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 09:09:48 PM »
 ??  wasn' there an article about army tanks wrenches ??

Offline amecks

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 06:56:40 AM »
One of those Gearbox Top Nut wrench (or spanner) recently sold on eBay UK.  I contacted the seller and he said it was for Norton motorcycles.  Well that's cool, you all know I'm a Brit bike enthusiast.  But I have nothing to do with Nortons.  I'll try and learn which model Nortons and see if I can get it into the hands of a Norton owner.
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 12:08:21 AM »
Why don't they build TV sets in England ?  They can't figure out how to make them leak oil. Why do Englishmen drink warm beer ? Their ice boxes are made by Lucas, The prince of Darkness. I know you all have heard them before right. I would by a Harley, they never leak oil. Huh, what.

Offline amecks

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 07:01:54 AM »
From my friends at britcycle.com:

A Treatise on the Importance of Smoke 
by Joseph Lucas

Positive ground depends on proper circuit functioning, which is the transmission of negative ions by retention of the visible spectral manifestation known as "smoke". Smoke is the thing that makes electrical circuits work. We know this to be true because every time one lets the smoke out of an electrical circuit, it stops working. This can be verified repeatedly through empirical testing. For example, if one places a copper bar across the terminals of a battery, prodigious quantities of smoke are liberated and the battery shortly ceases to function. In addition, if one observes smoke escaping from an electrical component such as a Lucas voltage regulator, it will also be observed that the component no longer functions. The logic is elementary and inescapable!

The function of the wiring harness is to conduct the smoke from one device to another. When the wiring springs a leak and lets all the smoke out of the system, nothing works afterward.

Starter motors were considered unsuitable for British motorcycles for some time largely because they consumed large quantities of
smoke, requiring very unsightly large wires.

It has been reported that Lucas electrical components are possibly more prone to electrical leakage than their Bosch, Japanese or American counterparts. Experts point out that this is because Lucas is British, and all things British leak. British engines leak oil, British shock absorbers, hydraulic forks and disk brake systems leak fluid, British tires leak air and British Intelligence leaks national defence secrets. Therefore, it follows that British electrical systems must leak smoke. Once again, the logic is clear and inescapable.

In conclusion, the basic concept of transmission of electrical energy in the form of smoke provides a logical explanation of the mysteries of electrical components - especially British units manufactured by Joseph Lucas, Ltd.

"A gentleman does not motor about after dark."

Joseph Lucas (1842 - 1903)

Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 11:15:06 AM »
One of those Gearbox Top Nut wrench (or spanner) recently sold on eBay UK.  I contacted the seller and he said it was for Norton motorcycles.  Well that's cool, you all know I'm a Brit bike enthusiast.  But I have nothing to do with Nortons.  I'll try and learn which model Nortons and see if I can get it into the hands of a Norton owner.
Al
I wonder, would that likely make it a Whitworth (also known as Worthwhit) wrench?

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 11:59:48 AM »
I believe Amecks--and Lucas--must be right.
I would add that I have observed that the amount of smoke transmitted is directly proportional to the cost of the device.
For example, my beater '63 VW never conducted any smoke at all.
But my Merkur XR4TI was a real smokin' machine.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 12:24:18 PM »
I believe Amecks--and Lucas--must be right.
I would add that I have observed that the amount of smoke transmitted is directly proportional to the cost of the device.
For example, my beater '63 VW never conducted any smoke at all.
But my Merkur XR4TI was a real smokin' machine.
Good thing, too, since, if it had smoked, your VW couldn't have escaped the smoke cloud unless the wind was blowing.

Bill, past driver of a 62 VW bus that was capable of very high speeds, if the downhill slope was steep enough and there were no headwinds; but that hauled a payload that was 200 pounds more than its own weight most of the way across the country, exploding (due to an unrealized existing problem in the motor) a mere 50 miles from the destination.  The trip up the western slope of the Rockies allowed for intimate examination of the roadside plantings; we actually had to use the brakes at times on the eastern slope

Offline amecks

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 01:33:35 PM »
  Oil makes VWs work.  I know because I was driving behind one on I-95 when there was a massive spray of oil escaping from the back of the VW, whereupon it immediately stopped on the side of the road.

Cool...
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 04:14:48 PM »
  Oil makes VWs work.  I know because I was driving behind one on I-95 when there was a massive spray of oil escaping from the back of the VW, whereupon it immediately stopped on the side of the road.
Actually...in the early 70s, the VW factory representatives were saying that VW motors were "air- and oil-cooled," not just air-cooled as everyone was saying.  This made sense; an oil cooler was a standard item on VW motors, and it shed enough heat onto the cooling fins for the No. 3 cylinder that you had to watch the valves on that cylinder very closely, as they tended to go out of adjustment faster than the other three, due, I take it, to the less efficient cooling.

Offline p_toad

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 05:45:19 PM »
I had a '72 malibu (Chevelle) that had the wonderful PCV valve stuck into the valve cover on the one side and when the spring went bad (as it often did), that thing would suck oil and send it right out the exhaust.   Other than that - 350 was a wonderful motor, 350 was a sucky transmission.   I had 239k miles on it when i quit driving it around.   Rust in salt /rust-belt had taken it's toll.  RIP :cry: