Author Topic: Road trip today,,,some finds  (Read 932 times)

Offline amecks

Road trip today,,,some finds
« on: February 24, 2018, 03:49:51 PM »
Went to Wintercycle Therapy at the Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport, about two hours away.  On the way back I stopped in Ithaca at Significant Elements - kind of a ReStore for vintage architectural elements.  In the back I found these wrenches for $1 each - nice, shiny, no rust.

Kawasaki 12mm-13mm - been looking for a 12-13 for my project bikes tool kit, Renault 11-13 made in France of course, Proto 3025 7/16-1/2, Bonney E30 7/16-1/2, Williams Superrench 1725 7/16-1/2, another Superrench 1104 11/32-3/8.
And from J-D's Bargain Barn in Port Byron, two file handles? -one is threaded with what looks like 3/8 fine thread, a sad rusty Plomb Pebble 5/8 - only paid 30 cents, and Ford pliers.

Al
Jordan, NY

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Re: Road trip today,,,some finds
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 04:01:34 PM »
Hello, Al. Nice finds!!!!  I am guessing that the file handle is not a specific thread, more like a spring, but I believe you would still screw it on to the file tang. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline bill300d

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 04:33:33 PM »
amecks
That pebble wrench isn't so bad when you consider that those 2 marks on the shank are the same as the marks on the shank, to one degree or another, of nearly every other pebble wrench you will find. It has to do with the way they were hung when being plated. As a result the plating is a little thin in those spots.

By the way the rest are all keepers too.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 04:51:13 PM »
Don't be inspired by the Renault wrench to go buy a vintage Renault to restore; Renaults are a clear demonstration that the French make good wine and bread.

Offline amecks

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 09:22:53 PM »
  Thanks.  And for telling me about the marks on the pebble. wrench.  I don't know much about pebbles except to pick them up when I see them - this is the second I've found.  I sold the first one for decent price.
   I don't think I'll look for a Renault to match the wrench but I'm kinda hoping someone will want the wrench to match their Le Car.
   Lou, the handle has threads and I'm thinking it goes to a drill or some other tool that uses a handle.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 07:46:41 AM »
Hello, Al. I am still pretty sure that is a file handle. I was wrong about the spring insert, it is most likely a 3/8-24 threaded insert. Here is a link to one of the many companies that offer a threaded file handle.
https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/EE-FH-297.XX/Skroo-zon_File_Handles Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society