Author Topic: Tools - Harley Davidson and Mystery Screwdrivers  (Read 3785 times)

Offline OldRencher

• Central New York
Tools - Harley Davidson and Mystery Screwdrivers
« on: March 02, 2018, 09:13:23 AM »
A few screwdrivers from my collection of old tools.

I inherited the perfect handle from my father who was a painter (artist). He used it in building his own frames.

I picked up the mystery screwdriver at a flea market for $8.  There are many layers of brass and I think bakelite, but your guess would be appreciated.

The small screwdriver is from another flea market, and I paid 50 cents. It has Harley Davidson printed on one side and POTTER CO., SYRACUSE NY.
I could find only two references on the web.  George Potter had a Harley dealership in Syracuse from at least 1916 -1923.
The photo below is from a HD dealers meeting, 1916.
I suspect that the screwdriver was either a prize for riding a HD motorcycle, or perhaps from a tool kit.

From magazine articles:

"LINE UP DEALERS FOR SERVICE CENTERS 1916
ln Three-Day Conference at Factory Harley-Davidson Motor Co. Presents Plan to Give Special Cooperation Through Agents in Forty Strategically-Located Cities
ILWAUKEE, Wis, Nov. 13.—The most important announcement along business-building lines that has been made by the Harley-Davidson Motor Co. preliminary to the formal opening of the 1917 campaign has just been given in a three~ day convention attended by dealers from forty geographical locations which have been selected by the company for service centers.
The new service policy has for its purpose a wider and at the same time more intensive distribution of the parts and repair business of the Harley-Davidson company, and the dealers throughout the country who are presiding over the service centers will have the active co-operation of the Service Department at the factory.
"

"POTTER PERKS UP Syracuse, N. Y.—Geo. Potter, Syracuse, N. Y., dealer for Harley-Davidson motorcycles. is enoying an increase in business of more than 300 per cent. over the corresponding period for the 1922. George is completely renovating his store by painting walls, laying a. new floor and installing new show cases for the display of accessories.

From Motorcycle and Bible Illustrated.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 09:18:07 AM by OldRencher »
He who passes this world with the most tools wins.
Syracuse, New York.
Vintage Tool and Motorcycle Collector.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
Re: Tools - Harley Davidson and Mystery Screwdrivers
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 01:41:14 PM »
Those are some nice screwdrivers.  I wouldn't pass them up.

Chilly

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 02:52:40 PM »
The H D one is cool. I have seen a few like that used advertisement giveaways , but not a Harley one.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Yadda

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 08:53:09 PM »
Three keepers.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline GeorgeThomas1976

• gonorrhoea test
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 07:20:11 AM »
Very cool set, my grandpa had something similar in his shed. I think it's still there, although he is no longer around so I won't be able to ask him about it.

Offline Berryb

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 09:56:49 AM »
just going thru the site and came across this one. I realize this is an old post.
I think I know about the "mystery" screwdriver in the OP.
I'd say it's a theater made tool. What that means is it was likely made on a navy ship or other military installation, anyplace that had access to the materials needed.
What is most often seen are Knives. Do a search for theater made knives and you will find lots of similarities. I'll try to post some of mine. Thanks
Bruce