Author Topic: Let's See Some Screw Starters!!  (Read 1355 times)

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Let's See Some Screw Starters!!
« on: March 17, 2018, 01:36:52 PM »
Hello, At the prompt of a fellow member, I am going to post the Screw Starters that I have here. Feel free to jump in with whatever you have, or, use. At top is a Rimster 5/16 Hex Starter. Next is a more modern tool, a Klein Phillips Screw Starter, non-magnetic, I had to buy it for brass hardware. All of the rest are for slotted screws.  The next 2 are a spring clip style, Channellock, and a Lok-Blok Patent. Next is an Ideal Industries, 2 prongs, that are opened/closed by a sliding barrel. The next is a Miner Tool Co., it has 2 fixed prongs, and by sliding the short barrel at the end it opens/closes a third prong to engage the screw. The next 6 have 2 fixed prongs, and by twisting the knurled collar, it opens/closes a third prong to engage the screw. The makers are Vulcan (long one with the magnet end), the two 5" ones are Aircraft Specialties, and unmarked. The 3 shorties are Ullman Devices, Proto, and New Britain. The next one is a very simple tool just a rod with 2 pieces of spring steel at each end. The bottom 3 are made by the H J J Co., in California. They are still in business, and have a great selection.These work by pressing the plunger, which closes the prongs, engage the screw, and slide the barrel toward the screw. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline international3414

• Contributor
Re: Let's See Some Screw Starters!!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 03:30:42 PM »
this one is some kind of plastic,probably quite old and unnamed

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 03:39:31 PM »
I like it!!!!!!! Regards, Lou

Offline amecks

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 06:09:01 PM »
Four screwstarters  and subverting the topic a bit with two nutholders.
Top left -   
-Blue-Point SSM-3, and a longer version is in my work toolbox.  Used frequently for many years.
-H.J.J. Co. Oakland, Cal, Pat Pend - purchased in the mid to late 80's cause my boss had one and I thought it was neat.  Almost never used.  Brass collar slides down and prongs spread to grip screw - push plastic to release
-The pocketclip job is a Globemaster No. 6495 - simple slotted end is magnetic - had for a few years and has been used a few times.  Works well.           
-Screwdriver type Bridgeport U.S.A. No. 247 - 8" - Suregrip - had for several years and not used yet.  Here I would like to say that for this purpose I normally use a magnetic bit holder screwdriver - I have three - work, home garage, and one in the house.
-Homemade nut holder - the knob and rod are sink drain hardware from a faucet - tube, washer and hand formed ends are brazed together.  Used very many times and works great.
-Another homemade version nut holder in the style of the Craigslist nut holder.  Used a couple times - works good.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline turnnut

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 08:07:20 PM »
International3414,  could that be bakelite ???

Offline J.A.F.E.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 08:40:15 PM »
Here's some I accumulated over the years. All of these are made by Ullman Devices although the brands marked vary and include Snap-on, Blue Point, Matco, Craftsman and one or two branded Ullman which to me is unusual. The one on the top left is a scribe and the top right a magnet.

Most are the slotted screw variety but there are some variations.

This one holds nuts, Torx, Phillips and in theory Robertson.

This one holds Phillips.

This one is 3/8 drive and I am guessing it was designed to hold the old stovebolts screws Chevy used on the straight six stovebolt engines.

For some reason I don't have a pic of the whole thing sort of an odd design in my experience. The collar slips up and down the shank to move the wedge to hold or release the screw. No markings on the handle as to brand or model.

Like amecks I also have one of these nut holders. No markings on it.

All my taste is in my tools.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 08:53:06 AM »
Hello, Guys. Thanks for sharing, all those are great as far as design & function!!!!!!. I like the nut-starters, too, time to up-grade from the double faced tape and a dowel. I may even have to break down and buy a "new" Phillips Screw Starter from H J J. , or, Ullman. Regards, Lou

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 01:23:04 PM »
Nice collection, Bob. Glad you started the thread.

Here's my bunch. Two are phillips, one is hex screw.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 01:32:48 PM by bonneyman »
Ratchet Guru

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 01:25:26 PM »
And here's my pair of micro screw starters. Really nice for computer and digital thermostat use.

I installed a rubber plug over the ends to protect the small parts, and store them in an eyeglass hard case.
Ratchet Guru

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 01:26:23 PM »
this one is some kind of plastic,probably quite old and unnamed

Those are alot safer when you'r working in an electrically- energized control panel.
Ratchet Guru

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 01:31:37 PM »
And here's my home-made nut grabber. (yikes - that doesn't sound right! lol)

How about "vise-on-a-stick"?
Ratchet Guru