Author Topic: not very old gator wrenches  (Read 1746 times)

Offline strik9

not very old gator wrenches
« on: March 22, 2018, 10:08:23 PM »
Some were made this week actually.

I started with the one. And it lacks features I use.  So I made another to see if I could and then one with the features I use most. 

Wrench, screwdriver, bottle opener and mini prybar. 
And it kinda spiralled out of control..   The new improved version hasn't been created yet.

Material could be mild steel, alu or stainless.  I use them all if I have a chunk. 

Most are either test models or work in progress.  Still trying to make a wire stripper that works, thatis quite difficult.
      The perfect small one piece pocket tool is not something so easily invented.   Lol!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 10:15:26 PM by strik9 »
The only bad tool is the one that couldn't finish the job.  Ironicly it may be the best tool for the next job.

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
Re: not very old gator wrenches
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 02:43:48 PM »
Looks like a fun project strik. A problem you might run into is that the teeth on your gators ought to be harder metal, otherwise they deform and flatten out when you try to use them on a tight nut. Looks like you have some cool designs going though!

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 02:46:11 PM by Plyerman »
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 03:13:41 PM »
Nice job on the wrenches!!!!!!!!!! Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline strik9

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 09:32:15 PM »
They get carried and used a bit then one or another gets changed to try a new idea.    All these are destined to be wallhangers after the best functions are copied onto new materials.

The bottle opener and screwdriver are good.  The gator is one step to a solid user as pocket gators go.
     Materials are a challenge, somewhat.  The stainless is hard enough to work reasonably.    Being only about 4" long leverage isn't a big issue, there isnt any to be had.
The only bad tool is the one that couldn't finish the job.  Ironicly it may be the best tool for the next job.

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 08:13:15 PM »
Yes I suppose you're right there.

Hey, how about starting with a metal ruler, like the kind they sell at craft stores? The metal isn't super hard, and you'll have inch increments along the edge of your finished tool.
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline strik9

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 11:29:05 AM »

Metal rulers are usually quite thin.  I was thinking any  damaged carpenter's square gets me close to thick enough metal and maybe even tool steel.

Add a possible brand name and the rulers it might work.  That will require shopping however.
    It was possible to keep Rand D costs to sweat equity so far  but to go get the good steel and  make the magic happen for the final product shouldn't be cheaped  out upon.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 12:19:55 PM »
Have you tried old files?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline strik9

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 10:41:40 PM »
More gator evolution.

The smaller toothless jaw works well on tiny hardware 11mm and smaller where the other with teeth is better on 10mm to 13mm. 
     Then putting a screwdriver on a wrench jaw saves real estate for new functions later.

I cannot work files with hand tools.  I need a shop upgrade to power tools. 

Offline JoeCB

• Contributor
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 10:14:37 PM »
Nice work and very creative. You didn't say whether you had heat treat capability.  Steel from old rotary lawnmower blades would be perfect for your wrenches, but tough to work unless first annealed. This steel will respond to even basic heat treat, as in anneal and re-harden.

Joe B

Offline strik9

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 11:00:00 PM »
I can get mower blade.  I may have to see if that junk one is still under all the junk on the porch.

My dream is to have the best design recut in titanium by water jet.  Maybe in hardened aluminum too.   Just to be needlessly exotic.  Lol!
    Near worthless and costly at the same time.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 08:07:40 AM »
 very good group of wrenches.   now I expect to see one made in the shape of an alligator.

thanks for sharing.

Offline strik9

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 06:15:58 PM »
Some of my inspiration to make the perfect all in one pocket tool for home, office and bikes.   None of these fit the bill .

All stsndards including whitworth and varied grades of metals from cheese to tool steel.    I had to make one to fit my life.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 06:24:48 PM by strik9 »

Offline strik9

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 07:02:27 PM »
Now to give it that old timey spin I combined features of a modern gator with a century old version.

Size fits a modern pocket and style fits times gone by.   I still want to make a modern copy of the old one but need to find steel stock for it. 

Offline strik9

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 11:38:55 PM »
A bit of playtime to make one of the ignition wrench sizes.  Only 2 1/2" long and good for hardware 5/16" and smaller.

It works ok actually and has that antique look.    A perfect compliment to the other.