Author Topic: Shear delight  (Read 6383 times)

Offline oldgoaly

Re: Shear delight
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 03:18:16 PM »
Just  thought you might have to change shims going from  1/8" to 1/2" thick material.
Ad is from 1910 American Blacksmith and Motor shop.
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 06:31:04 PM »
Just  thought you might have to change shims going from  1/8" to 1/2" thick material.
Ad is from 1910 American Blacksmith and Motor shop.
Oh that's an awesome original ad! Thanks :D

Shims? o.o I was wondering about the spacing between the blades... I just stacked washers until they basically met like scissors... I didn't find a lot of information about these things when I did my original research....

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 08:46:25 PM »
How long of a lever are you using for a handle?   I can remember one of these in a welding shop.   When something got cut, one guy was on the handle, the second was on the floor aligning the piece, then both would haul on the handle.  On  a long plank, six foot or so,  you may get more pressure. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 09:12:47 PM »
How long of a lever are you using for a handle?   I can remember one of these in a welding shop.   When something got cut, one guy was on the handle, the second was on the floor aligning the piece, then both would haul on the handle.  On  a long plank, six foot or so,  you may get more pressure.
I've got a little over 4' of 1-1/4" schedule 40 steel pipe, and another 4' of 1" pipe that slides inside it, so I can extend it out to about 7'.

I'm thinking about making an extendable "plank" using the same technique basically... Mounting a steel pipe on the underside of my cart, with another one that has a foot on it to extend out the back. But this all kind of hinges on if I can make it do what I want with even small stuff...

I don't have a second person, so I've got to be able to set it up, and cut accurately by myself. I've got ideas for a relatively simple clamp I can make to hold pieces where I want them... I dunno, I'm going to have to do a little more learning on this I think, and maybe some experimenting...

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 10:17:45 PM »
I've only set squaring shears up, smaller the gauge the tighter the tolerance. so Edwards probably has a guide? I have made no adjustment to my B3 Beverley Shear. All I've ever done is oil it and use it!
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums